Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

uphill/ downhill chart

Old 12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default uphill/ downhill chart

Thought some of you might be intersted to see just how close an uphill shot is to a downhill shot.

This chart is for MY SETUP and will vary slightly from setup to setup.

The numbers down on the left collum are yardage and the numbers across the top are the degree of the angle.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: uphill/ downhill chart

Degree of angle? Wouldn't it relate better to everyone if the number across the top was angles related to treestand height? (I know it does but what height=what angle? ) Help us math challenged guys out.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is the way the program prints it out for target shooters.That way they can use there little angle finder thingies and know the exact yardage.

I can see the yardage of the slant angle and the horizontal angle on the computer but can't print it out that way,it is a graph.

I was just wanting people to see that the difference in the uphill and downhill shot was very similar.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, what's a "little angle finder thingy" look like? Sounds kinda cool.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I should have known someone would make me look it up.

It is called a clinometer and what some will due is place an arrow tube on the side of it and look through the shaft to the target,then look at what angle they are on,then use the chart for yardage.

This is mainly in the long distance arenas for known distanceand rangefinders are still not allowed to the best of my knowledge.So the newer rangefinders that adjust for it can't be used.
I could be wrong about that though.

If I think about it,when I get to work tomorrow,I will figure a few scenarios to compare.That is where my scientific calculator is at.

This is what it looks like on my screen.Looks like if I had excell,it might print this screen.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, you stick to your scientific calculators... and I'll stick to writing the word "thingy."
Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

OK, you stick to your scientific calculators... and I'll stick to writing the word "thingy."

[8D]

Just don't play with it.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok,I worked a few of the scenarios and the triangles represent the angle and how high you would have to be in a tree and what to compensate for.

The box to the right of the triangles is how high you would have to be for this to work out.

As you can see,you would have to be quite high and have a fairly steep angle for there to be a NEED for compensation.

AND the charts show how uphill is almost identicallto thedownhill shots on the shorter distances.

This kind of information would be extremely usefull for those that hunt in the hills or mountains.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

AND the charts show how uphill is almost identicallto thedownhill shots on the shorter distances.
Physics show that uphill and downhill would be identical. Any differences shown are either a slight error in the program or a factor of the program rounding off.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are not accounting for sight paralax.

There is a difference,but VERY SLIGHT.As you get into the longer ranges,other factors come into play as well.

Some interesting info.

http://www.archersadvantage.com/TipSheets/UpDownHill.htm

Quick Reply: uphill/ downhill chart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.