Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

uphill/ downhill chart

Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: uphill/ downhill chart

most calculations (assuming you are in a tree stand) you can then assume the tree at the ground is a 90 degree angle, so A(squard) +B (squard) = C (Squard)....this should give you a close enough yardage value to make shots out to about 50 yards or so regardless of tree height (for flat ground)........
Old 12-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

You pastin that chart to the back of your bow when you hunt?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Math makes my brain thingy hurt! [8D]
Old 12-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't think u should paste that on your bow but for those who hunt on the ground in the hills glancing at that chart and putting some figures in the back of your brain...and knowing your angles is not a bad idea.......for instance, before i thought aboutall of these calculations or considered them,my brother shot at and missed a 3x3 (western standards) and had him ranged at 50 yrds down hill and shot right over his back.....the angle was approximatley 35 degrees or so from level so he should have shot it for about 40 or even 38 yards....

after that i did calculations and we both now know approximately what our bows will be shooting at different angles..up or down..
Old 12-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

don't think u should paste that on your bow but for those who hunt on the ground in the hills glancing at that chart and putting some figures in the back of your brain...and knowing your angles is not a bad idea.......for instance, before i thought aboutall of these calculations or considered them,my brother shot at and missed a 3x3 (western standards) and had him ranged at 50 yrds down hill and shot right over his back.....the angle was approximatley 35 degrees or so from level so he should have shot it for about 40 or even 38 yards....

after that i did calculations and we both now know approximately what our bows will be shooting at different angles..up or down..

I agree.

There is a common misconception about shooting from a deer stand that gravity speeds the arrow up,this isn't what is happening at all.As proof,the uphill shots are almost identical.

The chart also show that for normal hunting conditions out of a deer stand,it isn't worth the worry.

BUT,as JNTURK points out,there are times when this is VALUABLE information.I too missed a nice buck years ago because I didn't understand how uphill shots were affected.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

to comment on TFOX.....for tree stand hunting with moderate flat ground under you there is not much to worry about yardage...if you are on a hill then yes you should consider looking at the chart or do some math to check what yardage you should use..