Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Results should have been different

Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Results should have been different

Missing like that is frustrating and can make you nervous on the next shot. make sure your next one is lined up perfect and try to stay calm. i know from experience you will be even more nervous due to the misses before. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

dannyd

What type of BH are you using?

Jeff is using the rage now, and after his results I have one on an arrow. a 2'' cutting dia is something to look at.

For the record I had a season like yours in 90, but I lost 3 straight. All of them I het right where I was aiming. Just poor shots selection. Keep your head up
Old 12-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germ,
I use Magnus Stinger BH's 4 blade. Its actually 2 large blades with 2 bleeder blades.

Dr Andy,
No doubt. For whatever reason I am and have been very calm when settling a pin on a deer. I practice often enough where I am very confident at the ranges I choose to shoot. Keep inmind though that I have yet to put a pin on a huge buck.
However on my third deer after the 2unrecovered deeri was more nervous than I have ever beenwhile aiming at a deerand the deer was only at 15 yards.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Germ,
I use Magnus Stinger BH's 4 blade. Its actually 2 large blades with 2 bleeder blades.
Well that is a great head, all I got
Old 12-17-2007, 02:45 PM

The stingers are very similar to Bear Razorheads. Good choice.

One possible explanation is that even though the deer was broadside, and even though you hit it well, the arrow may not have passed through totally broadside. Maybe the animal moved right as the arrow hit, or maybe a rib deflected the arrow path, you get the idea. So the entrance woundmay be right behind the shoulder, but the wound channel may be angled way back, not your fault and you'd have no way of knowing that happened.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Waiting,
You know. That is something I never thought of. I figured since i got the good pass through that it just went straight through. No damage to the blades whatsoever. Then again I understand they are pretty tough blades.

I was a gun hunter first. For me, it has always been, pull the trigger = dead deer. I have no unrecovered deer, no long tracking (50 yards max) No misses. I've only shot at 10 deer and they were all hit and done in seconds.

So when this went down I haved to say it was an experience for me that i guess i wasn't asprepared for as I should have been. The experience of not recovering a deer is way more mentally taxing than I thought. I have been reading the posts about all of your experiences with this here for years and quite frankly i was not naive enough to say it wouldn't happen to me. But WOW, now i have experienced the feeling of not recovering a deer and it, for a lack of a better phrase for it, is not good
Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Germ,

Try out the Magnus Snuffer 3-blade once if you think of it! I think you'll really like it! Its an excellent Cut On Contact head.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:06 PM

Know the feeling. Shot the biggest buck that I have ever seen (10pt)@ 25 yds quatering away. Heard the hit, seen the vanes between rear leg & live, but w/broadhead going towards the lungs. Tracked it 600yds, over 3 days, w/minimal blood on the ground. No deer found[&o]! I feel your pain!