Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

selecting a Stabalizer?

Old 12-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: selecting a Stabalizer?

the weight and length need to be considered with the bow weight also. like a heavier bow will need a heavier stabilizer to even it out as a lighter bow would not need as much weight to get the job done
Old 12-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

For hunting I think it's main purpose is to quiet the bow, deaden some handshock and MAINLY to balance the bow. Length doesn't matter really except for convenience in a hunting situation. Like my new Guardian. There really is no hand shock but the bow is NOT balanced by itself. Different sights and all that change what you might put on it. I really thought I should have a 7 oz one. 6 was too light and 8 too heavy... but, I went with one close to 8 because he was out of 7 oz at the time. LOL I also like to get one that will fit in my bow case on the bow so I don't have to take it off and on all the time. I went with this Wild Thing... purely for balance and shortness. You'll find Rob and a lot of folks that shoot a lot of tournaments and 3D will go with the longer for balance and added accuracy. A sliver here or there usually doesn't matter in the woods like it does on a 12 ring.LOL I couldn't stand to have a long one myself.

IMO stabilizers on a hunting rig are WAY overrated.
I have to disagree with that a lot. The balance of the bow effects accuracy and steadiness.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stabilizers on your hunting bow...

There's a conundrum...

Totally unnecessary for sure. They do quiet it down a touch. They're more weight to lug around. Difference between getting a deer and eating the tag? Never.

Willa big onehelp you stabilize on the bonus ring on a 3d target? Sure.

I hunted for years without one, and shot hordes of deer.But I broke tradition when I stuck a cheapie S-Coilon my new bow, just because it was cheap and seemed to quiet it down a bit.

It looks cool too, which was probably the biggest motivational factor...which is comical, b/c I put the world's ugliest sight on my bow. I guess it doesn't make much sense to go with a stab b/c it looks cool, but then follow it up by installing a fuse sight that looks like 7 days of sin. LMAO.

My bow isn't this ugly anymore, b/c I've since removed this hideous sight and replaced it with something much more aethetically pleasing.

I guess I can see the point if you're one of the guys who shoots competitivelyduring archery season. But beyond that -a cheap rubber doinker or S-Coil (or no stabilizerat all)will do you like a dinner.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 PM

For a hunting bow, I don't like them to extend past the sight. Mainly, I use the Limbsaver S-coil.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Host of Hosts

If you really like the Fuse Stabilizers they also have a 6 inch and a 4 inch. I have the 6 inch on my Guardian and it's perfect. Well IMHO
Old 12-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would stick with the S-coil
i think its one of the best stabilzers on the market
and its a huge bargain