Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Journal Notes....Year 2

Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Journal Notes....Year 2

So you think your buck/doe ratio is out of whack??

In my second year at keeping a journal…..I just documented a season in which my sighted buck/doe ratio is nearly 1:8. This was compiled over 48 sits and did not include fawns.

In those 48 sits I had exactly 17 buck sightings……which included only 6-7 different bucks. I saw ONE buck over 1.5yrs old.

Ya think we still need to keep taking does, here?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Journal Notes....Year 2

Jeff:

I'd be curious how many of those does were the same girls? I know it's tough, and from what you say the movement is so random there that you can't exactly pinpointwhich ones are whichbased upon a core area.

I know that you have said that next year will not find you taking so many. Do you still plan to get some does out of there, by recruiting other hunters or other means?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel habitat improvement in the off season is as rewarding as reducing deer numbers.In your case GM & Ford has as much to do with buck/doe ratio as hunters do.
So to me I have nine months to improve my area and two months to change the numbers. And just like global warming I don't feel my foot print makes a hill of beans.
I'm here for the party.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ji,

We are starting a QDM coop in my area, I will check back in 4 or 5 years and let you know how it went

Old 12-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

I recognize some doe groups when I see them. But....it's tough. I see more deer than most, but as you can tell.....they're mostly nannies. I have a real hard time differentiating them.

Yes. I plan on having Aaron (Buckmaster_101) get his NC license and hunt some.....and we'll go from there. I'd lie to see him shoot a few. Hopefully....my son will also hunt....and I'll go from there (Brknarrow, farmcntry will hunt here, too, if they want to).
Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

In your case GM & Ford has as much to do with buck/doe ratio as hunters do.
That may very well be true.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your not going to change the herd in a year or two, but you should start to see improvement in a few.

I have noticed the differance in the area I hunt in IL since a few of us in the neighborhood took up killing every doe we saw 5 years ago. The 7 of us have killed over 150 does in the last 5 years.I have seen much more chasing during the rut the last couple of years. And more buck movement in general.

Keep after them Jeff, it will pay off, and get some help!!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

GM & Ford are not quite as gender Pacific as you my be.But now Honda on the other handare so bloody vengeful nothings safe .[]
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, we'll put the the pappa:nanny ratio where it should be...( dang i hate askin you all the time but did you get my last pm i sent at 9:48am?...sorry[&:]) Im already gettin excited bout it.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,

I really think you're definately doing the right thing here. Another year or two of this and you'll REALLY be in buisness. I know to alot of people, seeing and shooting all these deer, seems like fun, but I know it HAS to be more like work. I think I would do the same thing you are doing, next year, by limiting myself to only a certain number and then having friends come and help out.

I've learned, this year, that hunting with friends/family makes hunting SOO much more enjoyable. Being able to tell and sharethe same experiences/stories with friends makes it alot more fun. I was invited to that new piece of property this past year by new friends I had made through the archery shop I now work at. To be honest, we had an absolute BLAST this past year and I truly hope I will be invited back next year. The landowner told us to take as many does as we could and take a good buck if we saw one, but only good sized ones. We ended up taking 5 does and 2 bucks for the year. 1 of the bucks was not by our group, and wasn't a big one, but it was an elderly guy that's always hunted there.

I took one of the does and missed on another opportunity. I got to spot and stalk alot which was a rush, and I loved. I also got my first encounter with a big mature buck. If I were not able to hunt this property this year, my year would have defintely been VERY boring.

Sorry for the ramble.

Jeff god luck to you next year, I hope we get to shoot some 3D over the offseason and hopefully soon. I'm here to help with the does if you end up needing/wanting my help

Quick Reply: Journal Notes....Year 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.