I just want to know how far is the farthest you have ever seen a trophy buck get after being shot in the heart and lungs??? The reason I ask is because yesterday when we were hunting a friend of mine shot a very nice 160 buck and we tracked him..." />

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Burning ?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Burning ?

Ok be4 anyone starts hollering I just want to know how far is the farthest you have ever seen a trophy buck get after being shot in the heart and lungs??? The reason I ask is because yesterday when we were hunting a friend of mine shot a very nice 160" buck and we tracked him with a very good blood trail, never lost good blood one time. Well another guy saw this buck who is also hunting with us and shot at him with a shotgun from somewhere close to 200 yards away and the buck fell. Well we tracked this buck right to where this other guy shot at him and there was no blood after that. We had tracked him about a 1/2 a mile be4 the blood trail ended. There was only one hole in this deer so unless he had a really bad bloody nose do you think it would be possible for a fatally wounded buck to make it a 1/2 a mile. You're input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Burning ?

No doubt in my mind that its possible.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Ok, my question is...

Why does it have to be a "trophy buck"?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

shot at him with a shotgun from somewhere close to 200 yards away and the buck fell.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think 200 yards with a shotgun is a pretty far poke, maybe too far!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Ok, my question is...

Why does it have to be a "trophy buck"? "

Because bigger/tougher animals die harder.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Bartender

Mature bucks are in a class by themself. Bob you still have snow on the ground go back after him.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

No doubt that he could go that far. One thing I've learned about wounded animals, There are no absolutes!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

it's definately possible..i've shot average bucks in the lungs and they still managed to get 150 or so yards up a steep ridge..they're so tough, i'm never surprised how far they go, or how soon they drop
Old 12-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

No doubt that he could go that far. One thing I've learned about wounded animals, There are no absolutes!
Highly agree with Rob.

Another thing, if that other guy really thought he was going to hit a deer with a shotgun at 200 yards, he'd be extremely lucky or has no idea what the range/accuracy of a slug gun really is.

Quick Reply: Burning ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.