I just want to know how far is the farthest you have ever seen a trophy buck get after being shot in the heart and lungs??? The reason I ask is because yesterday when we were hunting a friend of mine shot a very nice 160 buck and we tracked him..." />

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Burning ?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Burning ?

I'm guessing he was one lunged by the sound of it! After all the running and chasing of him i'm thinking the blood finally made its way through the nose like they normally do on a double lung hit. 200 yards is a poke with a slug, I don't see that happening!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I've learned about wounded animals, There are no absolutes!
You said it Rob, they are amazing animals.

If your buddycan shoot 200 yards with a shot gun confidently,he needs to start hustling the locals on the range.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright stop the bus Gus. I need a little better discription of the bow shot. A double lung/lung-heart shot I do not see it going close to 1000 yards. JMO! I have shot a pile of deer with rifle and archery and a deer with this kind of hit isnt going that far.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Site Buck Guru

Did you guys see Burniegoeseasily's post about his heart shot deer!!?? He posted a pic of the heart after he recovered the deer cole to two days after shooting it in the heart. That was strange.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Not impossible, depends on how relaxed the deer was when you shot it, and if you got a pass through. I found they don't run quit as far with a pass through, but it has nothing to do with having two holes in them and they die faster. Just when the arrow zips through it seems to have less impact on them and they tend to just stand there, or run a little ways and stop. If they don't run and stop they can run a long way before they die. Deer are FAST, they can travel a lot of ground in a short time if they run full out until they run of steam.

I personally shot a deer with my bow and took out one lung and the heart (no pass through) and it ran for everything it had and made it about 400 yards.

As far as you guys doubting a 200 yard shot with a shotgun, I don't doubt it. I agree its a pretty far poke and I'm not sure if I would do it with my current set up, but I know some that could. If you are shooting a modern slug and your gun shoots it well enough it could be done. Will you get minute of angle accuracy out of it, most likely not, but minute of deer probably wouldn't be too far fetched some guns.

I will be honest and agree with you guys though, most 200 yard shots done by slug gun hunters are hail marry shots and they really are not sure if the gun is capable of it or not. Slug guns have plenty of power to kill at that range, it's just whether or not you can connect consistently at that range.

My inline muzzle loader has less power than my slug gun load does and I wouldn't think twice about a 200 yard shot with that, but it's more accurate at that range then most slug guns are.

Paul

Old 12-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

Did you guys see Burniegoeseasily's post about his heart shot deer!!?? He posted a pic of the heart after he recovered the deer cole to two days after shooting it in the heart. That was strange.
Exactly, There are no absolutes with wounded whitetails.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better start with what is a trophy buck?

Steve
Old 12-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

A heart shot and doublelung making it a half mile I find that highly unlikely.Was the first shot witha shot gun or Bow?

With that type of shot it sould be down in about ten seconds.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK the buck scored 156" with one brow tine busted off. So for you guys asking what a trophy buck is I would say that this was definately a trophy buck. He was shot with a shotgun 1st from 80 yards on a dead run. We blood trailed him with good blood right up to the point where this other guy said he dropped him with the 200 yard shot. The buck never stopped running except where he fell down a couple of times. It only had one hole in it and it wasn't a passthrough. The guy who claimed the deer dug the slug out of the deer and he said to me he was only hit one time with a Winchester 3 inch mag with a X on the end, the exact same slug that my buddy who shot him 1st was using. By the time we got there they had the deer gutted and loaded and were sitting on the highway, they were hunting with us also but when you pull something like this it makes you rethink who you call your hunting buddies. It doesn't really matter to my friend that shot him 1st but it is his 1st shotgun season since his dad has died and was dedicating the season to his fathers memory and to have something like this will leave a bad taste in his mouth.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

To be honest with ya....

You are spittin' into the wind on this one. Shooting at a running deer at 80yds with ANY kind of weapon is a new chapter all by its self. Your buddy could have hit the deer anywhere from his nose to his tail. I grew up dog hunting, so I've had plenty of exp. with shooting running deer with shot guns.

2nd. You are saying the other guy shot at the deer at 200yds. Why would anyone shoot at a deer that was 200yds away with a shotgun? I am sure that both you and the other guy misjudged the distance.

How do you know that the deer wasn't already shot by someone else? It could be a possibility.

Quick Reply: Burning ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.