Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spearing Deer?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spearing Deer?

how about hunting dolphins as they porpoise along the side of a boat. you could use a bow...or a whip.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quoteYes, they do use long poles to use them from tree stands. There is an old hunting video floating around out there made by a treestand manufacturer from back in the 80's where they kill several bears this way on camera. I remember the spear is probably 10-15' long, and has a long 12"ish double edged blade on the end that they stuck straight down through the shoulder blades of the bears from directly above.][/quote]

Yep- I remember watching that video. When those bears got stabbed with the "spear" they let out some nightmarish growls.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Bartender

Matt what do these spear heads run for at the shop? I would like to buy one just as a collectable and maybe a B.S. Story on killing my 168 with it.
ORIGINAL: Rick James

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I'm sure I read somewhere about using them from treestands (They might have even been made from re-bar) When the animal gets close enough they almost throw it straight down and gravity and all that momentum does the work.
Yes, they do use long poles to use them from tree stands. There is an old hunting video floating around out there made by a treestand manufacturer from back in the 80's where they kill several bears this way on camera. I remember the spear is probably 10-15' long, and has a long 12"ish double edged blade on the end that they stuck straight down through the shoulder blades of the bears from directly above. I remember they were pretty effective as well.........I wish I remembered the name of the company that did these videos.

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Never tried it, don't have any intentions to do so, but have nothing against it. Below is spear point:

We have several of that exact same spear head for sale at the shop in our display case........haha. Our shop owner is nuts about traditional and primitive type stuff like this.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the tree stand video with the spearswas for the Swivel Limb tree stand? I had a copy of that....one of the hunters was on the movie "Roadhouse". Kinda sad that I admit to watching Roadhouse.[&:]
Old 12-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Spearing deer, now I've heard it all... I'm a big bowhunter and I understand traditional archery but this goes a bit too far in my opinion for the average hunter.The chances that you'll hit the boiler room are very slim unless you're EXTREMELY skilled with a spear.Unless you're skilled enough to spear an apple sized object everytimeat 10 yards, this sounds more like cruelty and sadism than hunting in my opinion. Why chance wounding ordisfiguringa magnificent game animal unless you're a prosessional?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

A rough calculation says that a 1 pound spear thrown at 20 fps would have about the same penetration as our arrows. Well, it would have the same momentum but it has to make a lot bigger hole in the deer for itself. So this only works if the spear has a muzzy point and a diameter equal to that of an arrow. Maybe a solid steel rod pushing a muzzy. Hmmm, just doesn't feel right.

Take a 600 grain arrow at 200 fps. This would equal a 6000 grain spear - 13.71 ounces - at 20 fps. This is just 5.33 foot pounds.

I found a web site that does a comparison. Basically the bow and arrow ranks just below spears in all three categories considered: KE, momentum, and cross sectional density. A bow and arrow would be more accurate and harder to dodge, I'd think.

http://www.thudscave.com:80/npaa/articles/howhard.htm