Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spearing Deer?

Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spearing Deer?

Atlatl and spear are 2 different things........when they say spear they really mean just grab it and chuck it with your hands or make one long enough that you can STAB the animal. An Atlatl is more of a long dart thana spear.

I think I heard of guys making spears from big double edged knife blades or like the point Bob showed. I think they also make the throwing ones really heavy and I'm sure I read somewhere about using them from treestands (They might have even been made from re-bar) When the animal gets close enough they almost throw it straight down and gravity and all that momentum does the work.

As soon as I shoot one with my longbow I'm just going to graduate straight to Tiger pits and pungee sticks.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I'm sure I read somewhere about using them from treestands (They might have even been made from re-bar) When the animal gets close enough they almost throw it straight down and gravity and all that momentum does the work.
Yes, they do use long poles to use them from tree stands. There is an old hunting video floating around out there made by a treestand manufacturer from back in the 80's where they kill several bears this way on camera. I remember the spear is probably 10-15' long, and has a long 12"ish double edged blade on the end that they stuck straight down through the shoulder blades of the bears from directly above. I remember they were pretty effective as well.........I wish I remembered the name of the company that did these videos.

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Never tried it, don't have any intentions to do so, but have nothing against it. Below is spear point:

We have several of that exact same spear head for sale at the shop in our display case........haha. Our shop owner is nuts about traditional and primitive type stuff like this.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

As soon as I shoot one with my longbow I'm just going to graduate straight to Tiger pits and pungee sticks.
Wouuusssssssssss...........If your not ready for somehand to hoof action get back up on the porch.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that is just awesome. I have never heard of spear hunting deer before. You would certainly have to have some decent strength to take one down, though (I would think).
Old 12-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like where Matt and Rob are going, but I'm with Jim. I'm taking it one step farther. I'm ditching the treestand, getting myself a ghillie suit and setting up on the side of a trail. Once one gets close enough I'm gonna throw on the camel clutch and then choke it out. You can all just hand me your man cards now.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was told a story about a guy that supposedly did this to an antelope....I have little faith in it being true so I wont repeat it. When I finally get a chance to speak to the guy in person, Ill post it up.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Nope, ive thrown Atlatals and would like to take game with one, but they are illegal in Texas. You can spear fish but I think that is it. Other than varmnts, that is.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I must admit, even though i would never try it, it still it a pretty cool way to harvest game!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

forget deer, boars, antelope and carp, I want to go whaling!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think Ted NU hunts with one!

Hatchet Jack

Quick Reply: Spearing Deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.