Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in cold weather and 25+mph wind-determined or irresponsible?

Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting in cold weather and 25+mph wind-determined or irresponsible?

I've always held the philosophy that you hunt when you get the chance regardless of weather, moon phase etc. (In our country, and I suspect in most, that if you wait for ideal conditions you wouldn't hunt very often.)

After Tuesday, my hunting time will most likely not exist until the last week of the season (dec 29-jan 6). I've got a lot of management depradation tags yet to fill as well as a buck tag.(Always holding out for a bigger one.)

Having said that it is about 25 degrees with a very strong 20-30mph wind this afternoon that is not forecast to let up. I know the tree will be shaking and I will be bundled up fairly heavy. Due to these two factors, I will reduce my range to 20 yds or less.

But I have to acknowledge to myself that my accuracy is still compromised. I am walking out the door as soon as I hit the send button. Am I slob hunter, just stupid, or determined? Opinions?
Old 12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in cold weather and 25+mph wind-determined or irresponsible?

Only you can really answer that one [X(],I hunt in 0 to-5 deg weather but stay on the ground.I just call it Hunting.I spent alittle over 5 hours in knee deep snow the other day and it was 10 deg out with a 10-15 mph wind,all I wanted to do was hunt...I have a thing about being in a tree stand when its below 32deg......
WOOD/TREES have this thing about breaking in windy weather and I dont like the idea of having the tree fall over with me in it.
DETERMINED...............
Old 12-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in cold weather and 25+mph wind-determined or irresponsible?

determined, most likely nothing will happen but you never know you might get lucky . dress warm
Old 12-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

When is the wind NOT blowing 20-30 mphin the Panhandle?I wouldn't say your stupid or a slob or determined. You're just being a Texan.

I sure wouldn't be perched in a tree though, not just out of fear I might freeze something off, butbecause I bet the deer will be holed up in the draws and gulleys and not moving much. I'd be still hunting instead.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try some ground hunting or spot and stalk. With the wind blowing like you said thats a good time to be sneaking up on deer. Its worked for me in corn fields when the winds a wipping. Hope it went well tonight for ya as i'm guessing your hunting as I type this.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted the last 2 days with hight temps in the teens and light winds. Saturday AM it was -7 for much of the AM and I was in a tree and didn't think anything of it.

I would call you cold or at least chilled. Not wind determined or irresponsible.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Determined.

I hunt when I can, and last year the one and only deer I got was in freezing rain and 25-mile an hour winds. I'm glad I was out.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:10 AM
Bartender

Hunting is Hunting!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as you make adjustments to address the conditions I would say determined.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’d call it being determined, and a little on the nutty side, but aren’t we all.

Hope you made out ok.