Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunting Law in IL

Old 12-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Bowhunting Law in IL

Just read about a new law on the books in IL. Anyone 62 years of age or older can bowhunt with a cross bow without having to get a medical excuse. Just have proof of age and buy the permit.

Not sure why this is needed. I am sure there are plenty of 62 year olds that can still draw back a bow with enough pop to kill a deer. Specially with all of the advances in bow technology we have today. And I don't believe it is that hard to get a medical excuse if you want one.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Bowhunting Law in IL

I don't see a problem with it,it just saves them some hassle.

HopefullyI won't need to go to a crossbow at that age but it would be nice to not have to run to a doctor and go through the red tape if I needed too.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Just read about a new law on the books in IL. Anyone 62 years of age or older can bowhunt with a cross bow without having to get a medical excuse. Just have proof of age and buy the permit.

Not sure why this is needed. I am sure there are plenty of 62 year olds that can still draw back a bow with enough pop to kill a deer. Specially with all of the advances in bow technology we have today. And I don't believe it is that hard to get a medical excuse if you want one.
I agree with yajmbuckhunter!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I don't see a problem with it,it just saves them some hassle.

HopefullyI won't need to go to a crossbow at that age but it would be nice to not have to run to a doctor and go through the red tape if I needed too.
I totally agree.

I really feel sorry for all who opose the crossbow. I sure hope that your health hold out so that you can use a compound the rest of your life. With all the
all of the advances in bow technology we have today.
there is not much difference in compounds and crossbows and their advantages they give the shooter (different advantages but generally equal over the longbow or recurve). For someone with a disability or has age that restricts them or their ability to safely pull back the compound, they are severly discriminated against. They are forced to go though major hoops just to get back into the woods. But then again, you with healthy bodys, would not know what they would have to go though, because you have no need to either know or go though it.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

I had downloaded and printed out the necessary forms for my fatherinlaw to have his doctor fill out a couple of months ago when the state informed us he didn't need to(he is 69). Trust me when I say my fatherinlaw would much rather shoot his compound but can no longer do so.

Added note* IMO its only a beginning to legalize crossbows for anyone, of which I am totally against unless physically unable to do so.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag
Added note* IMO its only a beginning to legalize crossbows for anyone, of which I am totally against unless physically unable to do so.
Cougar Mag did the traditional archers not complain the same thing when the compounds came into the market. I do not want to get into a bashing of one method over another, but if your hunting with a compound, then you have as great an advantage over the recurves and long bows as do the crossbowsl just different advantages. Now why restrict people that want to go hunting, but no longer have the ability to use the vertical bows, other then to keep them from doing what they want. Once people see and learn that crossbows are only a different form of hunting tool, then there will be alot less discrimination against humans.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Theyloosened a regulation! I like the sound of that. Maybe they'll loosen thetag cost by about 400 bucks.

Always liked crossbows. When I was a kid the thought of putting a gun and a bow together thrilled me.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good to hear and good to get them back in the woods
Old 12-15-2007, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

To the hard liners. Go pick one up and compare it side by side in an all day comparison and come back here with your conclusions. You might get an education. BTW, I don't use one, don't need to but when the day comes if it ever does I will not hesitate and I feel most of you won't either
Old 12-15-2007, 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

To the hard liners. Go pick one up and compare it side by side in an all day comparison and come back here with your conclusions. You might get an education. BTW, I don't use one, don't need to but when the day comes if it ever does I will not hesitate and I feel most of you won't either

AMEN!!

Quick Reply: New Bowhunting Law in IL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.