Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunting Law in IL

Old 12-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Bowhunting Law in IL

[blockquote]quote:

If that is true, can you not hit your deer with your stick bow when they are 20 yards and under?
[/blockquote]

Yes, I can. If, and only if,I can draw the bow and execute the shot while remaining undetected.
Exact same way I execute it. So neither is harder or easier in this scenerio.

[blockquote]quote:

So if that is true, which I assume it is, tell me why using a compound is easier than a traditional bow?

[/blockquote]

Because with a high let-off compound, I can draw the bow with the animal coming in, or is passing behind a bush and wait for the shot.I don't have to wait until the deer is right there in front of me before I candraw. I drew my 80% let-off compound once and stood there for 5 minutes at full draw before I finally got bored and let down. Could've easily done at least a few more minutes. I certainly can't do that with a stickbow.
No but drawing and shooting a stick bow is fluent and quicker at loosing an arrow than with a compound. One cannot draw and release immediately as some techniques teach in stick bow. I feel a stickbow release has less chance of spooking an animal that is in range as a compounder in the exact same scenerio. (range is stickbow range).

[blockquote]quote:

Isn't the challenge getting said animal at 20 yards?
[/blockquote]

Not really, not when you are able to clip the cap off a pop bottle at 40 yards with an arrow and are set up over a field with a clean view all around. Or, in Texas at any rate, when you're hunting over a feeder - something I do not do, by the way - and have cleaned out a good shooting lane.
That is an assumption. Again, I reference the 16 yard shot, or miss.

[blockquote]quote:

I've missed deer at 16 yards with a compound, I probably could have hit said animal with a recurve, at least that's what shooting Matt / PA's recurve showed me so again, why do make the statement, compounds are easier?
[/blockquote]

Surely you're not suggesting they aren't?? That'd cause the big compound manufacturers extraordinary hardship, lost sales and economic collapse if that rumor got around. Go back and reread my previous answer.
Granted, compounds extend the range but under stickbow ranges, stickbows are easier in the hands of a proficient archer.

So if I read it all right,

in stickbow ranges, stickbows are easier, beyond stickbow ranges, compounds are easier...now were getting into the guns are easier than bows beyond compound ranges etc that I saw so many people slamming GMMAT and others for saying. Kinda a hypocrasy (sp).

Old 12-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

schultzy you still have not answered my questions. You also made an accuation about my knowledge so I ask for you to educate me but you seem to refuse. Could that be your blowing smoke and do not know much yourself and only want to try to make yourself look better.

Stilll looking for the answer to my questions .......... in case you have missed them, I posted them many times.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys

All this is going to do is help get some guys hunting again, that is it. I really could give a rats butt what anyone shoots. Hunting is suppose to be fun.

Tonight I hunted from the ground in 10 degree weather, what weapon I had really did not matter With a Long bow, Compound or cross bow I still would have got 0 deer

Hunting is suppose to be fun, if you like it hard, great, if some want it easier, great.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Guys

All this is going to do is help get some guys hunting again, that is it. I really could give a rats butt what anyone shoots. Hunting is suppose to be fun.

Tonight I hunted from the ground in 10 degree weather, what weapon I had really did not matter With a Long bow, Compound or cross bow I still would have got 0 deer

Hunting is suppose to be fun, if you like it hard, great, if some want it easier, great.
I agree totally with your comment Germ. It is nothing more then a choice for a hunter to make as to what he decides to use. I know many that use use all 4 styles of archery equipment and decides on each day what he iwill use that day.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old news
Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

in stickbow ranges, stickbows are easier, beyond stickbow ranges, compounds are easier...now were getting into the guns are easier than bows beyond compound ranges etc that I saw so many people slamming GMMAT and others for saying. Kinda a hypocrasy (sp).
Yeah, well... If you noticed, I wasn't one of those who were slamming the poor guy.

Guns really are a lot easier than bows. Just a cursory glance at hunter success ratios prove it. They also prove that compounds are a loteasier than traditional bows. What they do not prove is that crossbows are easier than compounds. The figures I've seen from official DNR records show success rates for compounds and crossbows to be virtually identical, within a couple 10ths of a percent.

So, for someone who slams crossbows saying they are much easier than his compound, then you really do have someone who is either sadly misinformed or is guilty of a base hypocracy.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know AP, I was talking out loud and making a general observation.

I have the utmost respect for you and your knowledge. I appreciate your input here as well. Just reflecting and making a couple points.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would not use a xbow in a tree for all the tea in china

They are big and clumsey, I can say for sure I would have not shot my last 3 bucks with one in the tree. Shots were behind me.
I hunt with the bow that brings me the most enjoyment. Sitting in a tree thinking "Can I get this bow back" is no fun at all IMO.

I will be honest, if x-bows were legal in MI I would use one on the ground in MY CRP field. For the simple fact I can shoot for my belly.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Guys

I think too many forget these things. Here in MD we are losing hunters so I am for anything that adds more hunters. I wouldn't really care if they allowed crossbows during bow season myself. Who really cares if it is "easier" (not saying it is, don't wanna be part of THAT argument LOL), it is still a "bow" weapon and the killing distances are the same.

From 2003 to 2006, the number of full-season hunting licenses issued to Maryland residents dropped from 91,524 to 84,046, an 8.2 percent decline. From this article
Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Would the closest person please give Grumpy a hug.

Quick Reply: New Bowhunting Law in IL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.