Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunting Law in IL

Old 12-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Bowhunting Law in IL

ORIGINAL: davidmil
I don't think it's misleading at all. If you know how to shoot a gun you can pick up a crossbow and shoot bullseyes at 20 and 30 yards almost instantly. .................................................. ..................The skill of the kill is pretty basic.
You can sure tell that you have not truely hunted with the crossbow just by your faulse statements. You still need to practice with the crossbow, just not as much as you need with the compound. Just luike you need to practice more with the recurve or longbow, more then you need with the compound. When people make statements like you just did which are blantantly incorrect, misleading, and does unjustice to the whole hunting world.

I have watched people that buy a compound which was set up in the pro shop (they never owned a bow before) and went out hunting the next day. Is this eithical, I do not believe so, just like if someone takes a crossbow out with out practicing is just as uneithical. I have also know of people that have hit bullseye after bullseye the first time they have picked up a compound. Also if your talking about accuracy between the two, why is it that compounds will out score the crossbow at the national championships.

But like I said, your ignorance is showing in your statements.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:22 PM

I was going to make the same remark ^ . I think rifles should be outlawed for hunting because they have a much larger advantage over shotguns and Ohio is Shotgun only, i mean ANYONE can pick up a rifle and shoot 150 yards and have 3 inch groups...
Old 12-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

I was going to make the same remark ^ . I think rifles should be outlawed for hunting because they have a much larger advantage over shotguns and Ohio is Shotgun only, i mean ANYONE can pick up a rifle and shoot 150 yards and have 3 inch groups...
LOL .................. I have witnessed 3 and 4 inch groups out to 200 yards (two different guns) ............ from shotguns.

But we digress here. This topic was about a new law that was brought out to give older people the choice to contimue to hunt with a crossbow if they do choose to do so, not to debate compound/crossbow arguements pro or con. I could do so. I could prove with data, not personal feelings that crossbows and compounds have generally equal advantages (although different) over the recurve and long bow.

The thing is, the choice should be free for the hunter to make if they choose to do so.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Dominant Buck

i
mean ANYONE can pick up a rifle and shoot 150 yards and have 3 inch groups...
Exactly. If you know how to shoot a gun and have some basics, like breathing and not jerking the trigger, you can do that. If you can do that, you can shoot a cross bow at 20 and 30 yards with no problem.. and I say again, almost instantly. No I haven't hunted with a crossbow, but I shot one. I've shot thousands of rounds of ammo down range and can shoot a crossbow tomorrow. It's not rocket sciences. As a past gun totter, veteran and bowhunter.... a crossbow is a done deal within range. Don't make it more than it is. It's a quick fix to all the hours and days and weeks and months and years a guy spends with a recurve or long bow to become half proficient at 20 yards. You give the same old 62 year old a recurve and he can't hit your pickup at 20 yards. With a crossbow I'll have him taking out your backup mirror in 10 minutes.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's a quick fix to all the hours and days and weeks and months and years a guy spends with a recurve or long bow to become half proficient at 20 yards.
EXACTLY the same can be said for compounds, davidmil. In fact, the whole industry has beenraking inmoney off making it easier for at least the past 20 years. There used to be as much difference between crossbows and compounds as between compounds and recurves. Not any longer. Compounds have reached and, in some ways, surpassed crossbows in ease of use.

How many do you know who put theircompounds away on closing day and don't get them out again until just before next opening day? A whole lot more do that than there are practicing and shootingyear round. I'd bet for every one of uswho does shoot regularly in the offseason, there are a thousand who don't. And most of them have never once shot a bow with their God-given fingers. Mechanical release is all they know. It's so-o-o much easier just to buy one of those than spend the time and effort to learn how to properly execute a fingers release, now isn't it.

So, where's all those hours and days and weeks and months and years of practice with the compound? What does it matter in the overall scheme of thingsif it takes 10 minutes with a crossbow in order to hit that mirror vs a half hour with a compound? It's still feeding into that buy today, hunt tomorrow frame of mind. NO DIFFERENCE!

Seriously, if not having todo all that workin order to be proficient is a valid reason to keep crossbows out of bow season, then you've just closed thedoor on compounds as well.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

EXACTLY the same can be said for compounds, davidmil. In fact, the whole industry has beenraking inmoney off making it easier for at least the past 20 years. There used to be as much difference between crossbows and compounds as between compounds and recurves. Not any longer. Compounds have reached and, in some ways, surpassed crossbows in ease of use.

How many do you know who put theircompounds away on closing day and don't get them out again until just before next opening day? A whole lot more do that than there are practicing and shootingyear round. I'd bet for every one of uswho does shoot regularly in the offseason, there are a thousand who don't. And most of them have never once shot a bow with their God-given fingers. Mechanical release is all they know. It's so-o-o much easier just to buy one of those than spend the time and effort to learn how to properly execute a fingers release, now isn't it.

So, where's all those hours and days and weeks and months and years of practice with the compound? What does it matter in the overall scheme of thingsif it takes 10 minutes with a crossbow in order to hit that mirror vs a half hour with a compound? It's still feeding into that buy today, hunt tomorrow frame of mind. NO DIFFERENCE!

Seriously, if not having todo all that workin order to be proficient is a valid reason to keep crossbows out of bow season, then you've just closed thedoor on compounds as well.

QFE, well said Arthur.

David, Id like to see you pick up a crossbow and be as good as you say you can be almost instantly. Theres more too it than picking it up whipping the string back and using gun basics. The fact that you think that just shows how little you actually know about the subject.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

How many do you know who put theircompounds away on closing day and don't get them out again until just before next opening day?
I canhonestly say I don't know anyone that does that. Noone. As far as the challenge to shoot one and do as well as I think I can. Fair enough, next time we're together we'll give it a whirl. Can I borrow youXbow. And Arthur, you made mypoint, yes it's easier with a compound, a gun etc etc That's my point.Just about anyone can pick up an XBow and beable to kill something with it. And no, it won't close the door on compounds. Ohio has been a Xbow state for a long time. Still more compounds and recurves out there than Xbows.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

A crossbow is not the same as a compound bow. You don't have to draw it back at the moment of truth. Very little movement required. Setting an age for crossbow use is not right in my opinion. I know many bowhunters older that do just fine. A medical condition fine, but not for everyone. Maybe crossbow and ML season could be at the same time.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not going to rack crossbows any longer, there is no point in it with the evolving mindset of hunters these days, but I will tell this story that I know to be true:

My fatherinlaw who is 69 bought a Ten Point crossbow from Gander Mtn. just before deer season. he can no longer pull a bow because of shoulder problems and numbness in his right hand. The guy at the store shot a couple of times and sighted the dot in the scope in at 20 yrds. After he cocked and loaded another bolt my inlaw proceeded to put the bolt right in the bulls eye. I also watched my inlaw sight it in at home for 30 and 40yds. in less than 10 minutes. Though 30 yds. seems to be near the most effective range for those short bolts.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure why this is needed. I am sure there are plenty of 62 year olds that can still draw back a bow with enough pop to kill a deer. Specially with all of the advances in bow technology we have today.
And there are plenty who cannot.

A crossbow is not the same as a compound bow. You don't have to draw it back at the moment of truth. Very little movement required. Setting an age for crossbow use is not right in my opinion.
I take it you are for making it illegal to use groundblinds and treestands over 10 ft high? Both hide the drawing motions quite effectively.
Better outlaw lettoff as well.

I know many bowhunters older that do just fine.
And I know may who cannot.

Maybe crossbow and ML season could be at the same time.
We all know how easy it is to get a deer to within 40 yds and less with guns goining off.

I am very pleased to see the anti side weakening.
I too was rabid anti xbow until I started making objective comparisons of them to the modern compound.

Steve

Quick Reply: New Bowhunting Law in IL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.