Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunting Law in IL

Old 12-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Bowhunting Law in IL

I can only assume that 62 was used because it is (i think) the earliest retirement age for social security. I guess that crossbow hunting could be viewed as another privileged for the retired.

As for who has or hasn't the strength to pull a bow, that may be a question best left to the 62 and older members here.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:30 PM

What I always find interesting about crossbow haters among the compound crowd is that if company X comes out with a compound that shoots 350 fps and could be drawn and held by a 10 year old...........they would sell a million of them.

Most people are selfish and/or jealous.......and even more are hypocrits.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most people are selfish and/or jealous.......and even more are hypocrits.
That can be said for more than just choice of archery weapons. Gunners hating bowhunters, bowhunters hating gunners, fly fisherman hating baiters, unsuccessful hating successful etc...that's never ending atlasman but it's a good point none the less.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I better not catch no poachers drownding worms in this part of the river!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's a great Law IMO

Will get more guys out hunting IMO.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Bartender

I am for crossbows regardless of age.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have converted from the anti crossbow crowd. I've shot both and much prefer my compound but I no longer buy into the unfounded argurments that the crossbow will cause shorter season, make archery too easy etc etc
Old 12-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Dominant Buck

It does seem to be a little premature to me to say... "62?? You're old and disabled". I'm past that and still think 70 pounds is a pretty easy thing. I like a bow and will use one as long as I can... but if the day comes that something happens and I can't, well I'm getting a crossbow probably or I'll just give up hunting all together. I've shot enough deer. All I need to do is find a source for a venison meal or 40. With the decrease in hunter numbers, perhaps the point of the new rule is another attempt to INCREASE the number of people hunting the bow seasons. You know, to eliminate all the hassle with doctors statements and bring in some people that think they're too old to start real bowhunting. God knows they can pick up a crossbow and be a killer tomorrow. I sure hate that they may think I'm too damn old at 64 to shoot a real bow. LOL
Old 12-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil
............................ God knows they can pick up a crossbow and be a killer tomorrow. I sure hate that they may think I'm too damn old at 64 to shoot a real bow. LOL
davidmil that statement it seriously misleading. The crossbow has the same basic range that a compound has. You stiull need to get the animal inside that range. A crossbow does not shoot flat (the speeds of bow bows are generally equal) so the shooter needs to learn the arc for the arrow as well. The incorrect statements that a crossbow hunter is a killer as soon as he picks up the crossbow, does nothing to help out the hunting word, only misleads the uneducated.

But I believe that the age they chose was just a number. If your past that age and you still can use a vertical bow, then great, you have that choice.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

davidmil that statement it seriously misleading. The crossbow has the same basic range that a compound has. You stiull need to get the animal inside that range. A crossbow does not shoot flat (the speeds of bow bows are generally equal) so the shooter needs to learn the arc for the arrow as well. The incorrect statements that a crossbow hunter is a killer as soon as he picks up the crossbow, does nothing to help out the hunting word, only misleads the uneducated.
I don't think it's misleading at all. If you know how to shoot a gun you can pick up a crossbow and shoot bullseyes at 20 and 30 yards almost instantly. There is no learning curve other than range. And really, most deer are shot at 40 yards and under in the deep woods anyway. You can be a killer with a crossbow immediately if you can shoot a gun. You just have to shorten the distance. And honestly, that's not a big deal if you have the woods and the property or the time to find it. The skill of the kill is pretty basic.

Quick Reply: New Bowhunting Law in IL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.