Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunting Law in IL

Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Bowhunting Law in IL

Apparently, in the area where I hunt, it's more like 99% x-bow and me. LOL

My guess is that she wasn't the person who normally handles the deercheck-ins, and was unfamiliar with the terminology. She probably just saw my ravishing good looks, and wanted to talk to me. Can't fault her. Ya know?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think she was just stunned by your good looks and Giant Python arms
Old 12-18-2007, 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag
Sure, using a compound to take a deer with is easier than using tradtional equipment but its still hand drawn and hand held.
So since you feel this is the only major Advantage andis the art and skill of vertical bow hunting you will agree that any compound or long bow hunter that uses a ground blind with shoot through mesh is taking the easy way out and putting him self pretty close to the CB hunter, right?

I will repeat my self from before. The ground blind with shoot through mesh windows is accepted and most would be willing to hunt if they came to Robs house or Justin's and they said this is where you should hunt today. Most all would gladly get in and hunt. The vertical crowd has gladly accepted them with little problems. Why? cause they give the current hunters the advantage, not a possible new hunter. It all comes down to people afraid that a onslaught of gun hunters will buy a CB and kill allTHEIR deer. You folks are IMO opinion are either scared or selfish. Ohio and AR has the data to prove that the CB will not be the down fall of deer hunting. If you go to the ODNR site and look up historical data since the opening of the CB in the late seventies the deer numbers have only gone up, year after year. What you use has nothing to do with killing deer, if you can't win the 20 yard game you go home no matter what is in your hands. One also can look at Tennessee and Virginia, they have recentlyallowed the unrestricted use of the CB, and the sky is still standing there.

You can talk about heritage all you want, but why force your heritage on others? I have no history to a long bow, no heritage for me, why should your heritage be forced on me and decide what I use for a hunting tool? Just look at us in Ohio, you will still have deer to hunt, I promise we will not kill all YOUR deer.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Funny story about Ohio: I checked my buck at some hole-in-the-wall diner...So the lady at the counter is filling out the paperwork...she looks up and says "Crossbow?"

"Compound bow."

She looks at me likeI'm speaking Chinese - as if to say "Buddy, WTF is a 'compound bow?'"

So I kinda spin the paper around to read the available choices: "Longbow."

She says "is it Longbow season? I thought it was crossbow season?"

60% xbow40% vertical bow
And no one sees a problem with that in the few short years its been in place? Good Lord whats it gonna look like in 10 more years when the kids that are being introduced into the archery season with the X Bow, you think their going to switch over to conventional archery equipment, most are so lazy now you cant lure their chubby little butts away from a game boy without a twinke in your hand!
I can tell you right now, if the rest of the States in this Country matched those # in Ohio,we would be having this chat over keeping gun hunters out of our Xbow season instead of talking about keeping X bows out of our archery season today.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

And no one sees a problem with that in the few short years its been in place? Good Lord whats it gonna look like in 10 more years when the kids that are being introduced into the archery season with the X Bow, you think their going to switch over to conventional archery equipment, most are so lazy now you cant lure their chubby little butts away from a game boy without a twinke in your hand!
I can tell you right now, if the rest of the States in this Country matched those # in Ohio,we would be having this chat over keeping gun hunters out of our Xbow season instead of talking about keeping X bows out of our archery season today.
Excellent post!!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Next they'll be wanting to dance with our women.

Then.....then we'll catch 'em ridin' our 4-wheelers!

The horror![&:]
Old 12-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Sure, using a compound to take a deer with is easier than using tradtional equipment but its still hand drawn and hand held.
So since you feel this is the only major Advantage andis the art and skill of vertical bow hunting you will agree that any compound or long bow hunter that uses a ground blind with shoot through mesh is taking the easy way out and putting him self pretty close to the CB hunter, right?

I will repeat my self from before. The ground blind with shoot through mesh windows is accepted and most would be willing to hunt if they came to Robs house or Justin's and they said this is where you should hunt today. Most all would gladly get in and hunt. The vertical crowd has gladly accepted them with little problems. Why? cause they give the current hunters the advantage, not a possible new hunter. It all comes down to people afraid that a onslaught of gun hunters will buy a CB and kill allTHEIR deer. You folks are IMO opinion are either scared or selfish. Ohio and AR has the data to prove that the CB will not be the down fall of deer hunting. If you go to the ODNR site and look up historical data since the opening of the CB in the late seventies the deer numbers have only gone up, year after year. What you use has nothing to do with killing deer, if you can't win the 20 yard game you go home no matter what is in your hands. One also can look at Tennessee and Virginia, they have recentlyallowed the unrestricted use of the CB, and the sky is still standing there.

You can talk about heritage all you want, but why force your heritage on others? I have no history to a long bow, no heritage for me, why should your heritage be forced on me and decide what I use for a hunting tool? Just look at us in Ohio, you will still have deer to hunt, I promise we will not kill all YOUR deer.
Why force the Xbow into a season intended for the bow and arrow?
I dont want to share my bow season with gun hunters either!
Does that make me a greedy person?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Excellent post!!
it's been in place over 10 years I think

At this point, lets get kids into hunting
Old 12-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

My take on this law is that the guys taking up the crossbow are the ones that formerly used regular bows and had to stop for health reasons.At least thats the case with my father and uncle who crossbow hunt in Illinois. So, i can't quite imagine that the woods are gonna start swarming with thousands of new deer hunterswaving crossbows. And if they do, so what. Many areas of Illinois have so many deer that they are becoming a nuisance.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Arguments that a crossbow is not a long range weapon is pretty well null and void. Reason? Because most shots at whitetail deer with traditonal equipment and compounds are 20-25 yds. and less, nobody can dispute that.

Compounds are easier to take a deer with that traditional equipment, and so crossbows are easier than a compound to take a deer with. No dispute when it comes down to the actual method or aiming and shooting.

Whats missing in this discussion is that bowhunting was meant to be harder and more challenging than using a firearm. In fact most bowhunters that I talk to use a bow because of that very reason. Sure, using a compound to take a deer with is easier than using tradtional equipment but its still hand drawn and hand held. Shooting a crossbow most resembles shooting a firearm except for the actual projectile being propelled.
Cougar Mag your arguements would have alot more truth to them if there was not compounds on the market that have let-offs at 90% or greater. These bows take away most of the crossbows advantages and then they still have the advantages which they have always held over the crossbow.

Archery hunting is more difficult more matter what piece of archery equipment you choose to use. Compounds are easier to move about with, easier to choose a shooting window to shoot through, faster to get a second shot, more accurate (in hands of compitant shooter). With these highter let-off compounds. they are holding only 5 lbs or less (99% would be less then 1 pound) when at full draw. These could be held at full draw for a long time (not to mention that you could be hiden inside a blind from the deer).

Yes not all bows have the higher let off, but some do and they are allowed, I do not see you arguring against the higher lets offs because you can draw and hold them back at full draw well before the deer comes into range. When I have Stated that the compound and crossbow are generally equal in advantages (over recurve and longbow), that was with normal letoff compound, not these higher lets offs. Remember that the 99% let off can seem to be able to hold itself at full draw just by the weight of the bow itself, if hung upside down.

Quick Reply: New Bowhunting Law in IL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.