Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunting Law in IL

Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Bowhunting Law in IL

I haven't read all 14 pages of this thread, and I'm not going to either, but the crossbow, IMHO, is actually at a disadvantage vs a modern day compound. I say that with the qualification that the ones I've heard shot on the indoor range at the Archery Shop where I go to shoot almost every Saturday are VERY loud!

I have to tune my hearing aids to program 2 when someone is shooting a crossbow on the range. I also use program 2 when I'm on a riding lawnmower, if that will give you a feel for how much silencing it provides. I also use it when I want to tune people out. PLEASE don't tell my wife I said that !!

The crossbows are loud and they are not fast enough for the bolt to get to the deer before the sound does. To me that spells disadvantage to the crossbow.

Bill
Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Arguments that a crossbow is not a long range weapon is pretty well null and void. Reason? Because most shots at whitetail deer with traditonal equipment and compounds are 20-25 yds. and less, nobody can dispute that.

Compounds are easier to take a deer with that traditional equipment, and so crossbows are easier than a compound to take a deer with. No dispute when it comes down to the actual method or aiming and shooting.

Whats missing in this discussion is that bowhunting was meant to be harder and more challenging than using a firearm. In fact most bowhunters that I talk to use a bow because of that very reason. Sure, using a compound to take a deer with is easier than using tradtional equipment but its still hand drawn and hand held. Shooting a crossbow most resembles shooting a firearm except for the actual projectile being propelled.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Arguments that a crossbow is not a long range weapon is pretty well null and void. Reason? Because most shots at whitetail deer with traditonal equipment and compounds are 20-25 yds. and less, nobody can dispute that.

Compounds are easier to take a deer with that traditional equipment, and so crossbows are easier than a compound to take a deer with. No dispute when it comes down to the actual method or aiming and shooting.

Whats missing in this discussion is that bowhunting was meant to be harder and more challenging than using a firearm. In fact most bowhunters that I talk to use a bow because of that very reason. Sure, using a compound to take a deer with is easier than using tradtional equipment but its still hand drawn and hand held. Shooting a crossbow most resembles shooting a firearm except for the actual projectile being propelled.
Bingo! I've been saying that the last 2 days on here, i'm glad someone else can see that simple fact too! Thank you Cougar!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw this product on TV the other day. It goes on a compound bow, itinserts where the cable slide is and holds your bow at full draw with an integrated release. This would be another option for people that are disabled. You still have to hold the bow like a bow (not a gun).

I don't think all this stuff is good for the real hunters.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

I saw this product on TV the other day. It goes on a compound bow, itinserts where the cable slide is and holds your bow at full draw with an integrated release. This would be another option for people that are disabled. You still have to hold the bow like a bow (not a gun).

I don't think all this stuff is good for the real hunters.
I suppose a gun is not good for "real" hunters either because, as has been stated by "real" hunters, they are so easy to use, unlike a bow ?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gun is fine in gun season but not bow season. I use a gun sometimes during that season. I use a muzzleloader, bow, shotgun or bow in gun season if the State permits it and I feel I can be effective.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is a real hunter. Wild hog taken with a spear.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Bingo! I've been saying that the last 2 days on here, i'm glad someone else can see that simple fact too! Thank you Cougar!
Bingo revoked

Penality on cougs, LOL Easier, there is no way it would have been easier to shoot the shots I had with a x-bow.

Each weapon is ideal for differnet situtaions. If you want to argue x-bow is more accurate I agree. With the way some guys shoot; I would rather they had aXbow.[&:]

Here is my ?
We have 2 hunters
1.Great Traditional Hunter(Arthur)
2.Lousy Xbow hunter(QuickSilver)

Who shoots more deer

No argument from me that it is easier to shoot, but hunting methods are more at play than weapon IMO

Again
2001 vertical bow succes rate 21% Ohio
2001 XBow bow Success Rate 23% Ohio
2% We are all up in arms about a 2%?

Ohio is a great state to look at, x-bows are legal, and hunting is just fine IMO. I hunted Ohio the guy on the next property was hunting with an X-bow. We had a good talk, he told me about deer movement and help me out. Told me if i shot a deer to just come get it if it crossed the property line.

Just a great hunter, I could have cared less what he was shooting.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Funny story about Ohio: I checked my buck at some hole-in-the-wall diner...So the lady at the counter is filling out the paperwork...she looks up and says "Crossbow?"

"Compound bow."

She looks at me likeI'm speaking Chinese - as if to say "Buddy, WTF is a 'compound bow?'"

So I kinda spin the paper around to read the available choices: "Longbow."

She says "is it Longbow season? I thought it was crossbow season?"

Old 12-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Funny story about Ohio: I checked my buck at some hole-in-the-wall diner...So the lady at the counter is filling out the paperwork...she looks up and says "Crossbow?"

"Compound bow."

She looks at me likeI'm speaking Chinese - as if to say "Buddy, WTF is a 'compound bow?'"

So I kinda spin the paper around to read the available choices: "Longbow."

She says "is it Longbow season? I thought it was crossbow season?"

60% xbow40% vertical bow

Quick Reply: New Bowhunting Law in IL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.