Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunting Law in IL

Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Bowhunting Law in IL

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Germ

Most don't want crossbows for fear more people will hunt during the archery season and shoot "their" deer.

I have not seen one logical reason tonot make them legal.

So far we have
1.It's easier
2.Protecting our bowhunting tradition

IMO, both of these are pretty lame. I will preach until I die.
HUNTING IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN We all have choices, if YOU want it hard go ahead, if I want it hard, I should have the right to choose how hard IMO.

My grandpa has hunted with a CrossBow for over a decade now, yes he had to go through a test. Which was nuts IMO.
Where does it stop Germ?
Have you look at some compound setups lately[&:]

Just like Golf(USGA) core test, I think we need one for archery tackle. What that test is I do not know. My guess a speed benchark has to be put in place.

Here is a great stat.
2001 Ohio Archer Success 21%
2001 Ohio Cross Bow Success rate 23%
2% LOL

Here is a great example I hunted in a Blizzard Sunday morning. My SitkaGear suite is awesome; I could have sat all day. Is that fair? Hunting is fun, at the point it becomes killing I bet the person quits. I can hunt easy, I could have been done with nice 8 and 9 in the freezer, but I choose to up the challenge.

I really don't concear myself with what other hunters hunt with as long as it's legal. I have a VARX3 scope on my 22-250, just not fair, LOL

We put some benchmarks in place, we do what we can to let people enjoy the outdoors. Having guys 62 and older using x-bows is a great law.

Next year Gramps will be 80, he shot a doe on Friday with a ML, 79. There is nothing but good in that IMO. I hope to god I can put one in front of him next year with that xbow

Ohio right now is legal for xbows, and the world has not ended, I think
Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The thing is it will never stop, its just going to get worse and worse and before you know it technology is going to kick the hunting aspect right out of bow hunting! I want my liitle girl who is now 5 months old to experience bow hunting like its supposed to be, how it use to be. This is not what i see in the future! I have no problem what so ever in keeping the old farts out there hunting. I will do what it takes to do that for my dad as well when the time comes, it won't be a crossbow by any means, he's been shooting traditional for 30 some years and doesn't much care for these crossbows either. Either way he will be out there hunting weather it be a compound or a gun of some kind. As for the disabled people or the people who have no way of pulling a bow back, shoot what works for you, and if its a crossbow, more power to ya!
Old 12-17-2007, 02:10 PM

From a pure herd management POV (i.e. your state wildlife agency), there is no need for the use of any archery weapon. It can be done much more efficiently with modern high powered guns in a short season. Be careful what you wish for when you attack crossbows. Perhaps we should count our blessings that archery seasons of any typeare even allowed.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

The thing is it will never stop, its just going to get worse and worse and before you know it technology is going to kick the hunting aspect right out of bow hunting! I want my liitle girl who is now 5 months old to experience bow hunting like its supposed to be, how it use to be. ....................
Schultzy I think you mean that you want your daughter to grow up and hunt the way you want to hunt, not the way it used to be because in 1965 archery equipment was longbows, recurves & crossbows.

People do not realize that crossbows and compounds are generally equal. There are some advantages, but other major disadvantages as well. Crossbows are not for everyone, but that is a choice for the hunter. There is alot more history in crossbows, more tradition then there ever will be in compounds.

Still waiting for the answer for my question.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur P our gun laws hurt this country, but in what way does it bother you
Same for our crossbow laws in this country. In what way does it affect you? You've got no dog in this fight and I'm pretty certain we Americans can carry on and get it worked out for ourselves without your brilliant input.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

The thing is it will never stop, its just going to get worse and worse and before you know it technology is going to kick the hunting aspect right out of bow hunting! I want my liitle girl who is now 5 months old to experience bow hunting like its supposed to be, how it use to be. This is not what i see in the future! I have no problem what so ever in keeping the old farts out there hunting. I will do what it takes to do that for my dad as well when the time comes, it won't be a crossbow by any means, he's been shooting traditional for 30 some years and doesn't much care for these crossbows either. Either way he will be out there hunting weather it be a compound or a gun of some kind. As for the disabled people or the people who have no way of pulling a bow back, shoot what works for you, and if its a crossbow, more power to ya!
What is suppose to be like? I am not being a smart arse. I think this is where the issues is for most.
Their defination of "bowhunting"

Example to me has little to do with the actual bow, but more about hunting tactics employed. This is what I think, not saying it's gospel.

I hunt a little different than most I think. No calls, scents or trickery. I just try and be where the buck may me, and this year I suck at it My buddy has an eletric call with a speakers wired to his stands[&:] Would I do that, no, should I "put down" his method of hunting because Ifeel it's not a macho as me? No

Atlas is another great example, he hunts with a gun 50 yd max range. Uncle Ed's has 150 yd range. Do either really care what the other is doing? Because of the weapon they choose, I bet they have differnet method. Atlas needs to take a bowhunter mentality to the woods with him. Uncle Ed wants to cover a lot of ground when he hunts.

In college my buddy used to try and score with the best looking girls with boyfriends[&:]I use to go after the single ones. In the end we both got the samething, he just had to work harder, Good for him
One thing HNI has taught me, Let folks hunt they way they want. Putting others to "your" standards just is not right, and that goes for me also.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Bartender

Well put Gary and could not agree more!
Old 12-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

My ways are not by no means the norm. People all have there own methods of hunting, much better then mine i'm sure. What works for you or them is fine by me! I can how ever be concerned on what the future holds for my daughter if she gets into bow hunting, i have a right to be! Call me a conservative bow hunter, I don't really care. Thats the way i am. I'm done with this, i'm sick of the argueing and bickering!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

My issues with the crossbows aren't really with the bows them selves...it is more with the user of said bow. I have witnessed first hand that people think they can shoot 70 and 80 yards because they have this fast cross bow.

Other than that, I don't give a hoot what they use. I hunt withing 100 yards of my dad that uses a cross bow and the only difference is I can here when he shoots and I couldn't when he used a regular bow. It hasn't gotten him anymore deer than he would have gotten normally.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Steve I am not arguing

I have the same concearns, I can tell you Habitat and having a place to hunt is my biggest worry.

My Son is a little older, can we have arrange marriage for hunting rights

Quick Reply: New Bowhunting Law in IL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.