Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
40-45 lbs
2.40%
46-50 lbs
0.80%
51-55 lbs
4.00%
56-60 lbs
16.80%
61-65 lbs
27.20%
66-70 lbs
30.40%
71-75 lbs
14.40%
76-80 lbs
1.60%
80lbs and up
2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Draw Weight

Old 12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Draw Weight

Actually, In my neck of the woods people are dropping in poundage. You can get the necessary speed/kinetic energy now days at much less draw weight.

Back in the early 90s I shot 82-84 lbs. 2315s @ 545 gr at 275 fps. (lots of KE). I shot this poundage for indoor league as well. As bows advanced I lowered my poundage and lightened my arrows. I still get enough KE to pass right through a deer while shooting 66 lbs. I still get 275 fps with a 2413 but have dropped to 72 ft/lbs KE.

Why kill yourself??!![:-]
Old 12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Alot of these people are cranking the weights up too because ofthe highlet off these compounds have these days. I'm just going off of what the guys I know that shoot compound's tell me.
I wouldnt know what 80% letoff feels like. Ive never shot abow with anything higher than 60%, that is with my wheeled bows.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

THE ONLY reason I ordered my new 82nd Airborne in 60-70# limbs......was for re-sale.

It'll likely be set around 64#s. I am NOT proud.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Alot of these people are cranking the weights up too because ofthe highlet off these compounds have these days. I'm just going off of what the guys I know that shoot compound's tell me.
Great point Schultzy, even with the 80% let off, and my bow set at 68lbs...I'll admit I find myself getting a little fatigued after a round of 3d. That is why I am going to drop 5-6 lbs.
I agree with ya! There really isn't much need to be shooting 68lbs. Shooting 60lbs will get the job done any day of the week for ya.The reason I shoot 73lbs with my recurve is to get as much energy behind that arrow I can being i'm shooting a recurve. The next recurve or long bow I get won't be as heavy though or at least itwon't stack as bad as mine now. I find myself every now and then short drawing due to the heavy poundage i'm shooting. I know what your saying about shooting 3-D too, every year in June we go to a traditional shoot in Coon Rapids, Minnesotaand shoot 3 rounds of which there are 20 targets per round. My arms are shaking usually the last 5 to 6 targets. I'm guessing you don't live to far from there!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Schultzy you have shot at Cedar Rapids. I have shot there a lot winning a lot of shoots there 3Ds, field and target. Shot there even when I shot a 65 lb recurve in the 60 and 70s. I won the Midwest sectional once there as N.F.A.A. pro. Great range and lots of friend there. I was from around the Des Moines area. I have done a lots of shooting in Minnesota too. Winning a Midwestern once at Coon Rapids and a IBO at Blue Earth.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

60# for me! and I'm thinking of getting my new marquis in 50 - 60 instead of 60 - 70. I don't need to go higher for now and if I want more I can always change the limbs later on..

Mat
Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Host of Hosts

Never again more than 60#
Old 12-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

65lbs for me.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

Schultzy you have shot at Cedar Rapids. I have shot there a lot winning a lot of shoots there 3Ds, field and target. Shot there even when I shot a 65 lb recurve in the 60 and 70s. I won the Midwest sectional once there as N.F.A.A. pro. Great range and lots of friend there. I was from around the Des Moines area. I have done a lots of shooting in Minnesota too. Winning a Midwestern once at Coon Rapids and a IBO at Blue Earth.
Thats pretty cool Bowdoc! Sounds like your a heck of a shot there too! I think i screwed up the location. Its Coon Rapids Minnesota.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, i like your idea...getting to watch everyone draw...LOVE watching the TV guys muscle back their bow...pointing the sucker to the sky and muscleing it back...one of these days one of them fools is gunna hurt themselves....just hope thats a day im bored and channel surfing and i get to see it

i practiced maxed out at 71-72 all summer. felt fine..i was drawing straight back with no trouble...could shoot as long as i wanted and was comfortable..first week of the season i was still fine...that friday i drew on stand..always do periodically..practice, check my form and anchors, make sure the peep is OK and all that...mannnn did it about kill me...why?? being cold...not being able to shoot EVERY day like i did all summer..i dropped it down to 65ish...i really dont know..i think i took 2 cranks off each limb and felt 10000% better...

im not PROUD either Jeff still blew threw my buck like he wasnt there...im still impressed by that actually...how i can center punch a rib(i know it aint the toughest bone to break) and still watch that arrow sink in and blow through deep into the rocky glacial till dirt of the mountains...

wont even bother going back up this year...heck, i might drop it down another crank..i dont care where its set at...if i cant draw straight back almost effortlessly, and hold it back steadily, i have no use for it in a treestand...

Quick Reply: Draw Weight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.