Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail cam tips?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Trail cam tips?

Guys,
I've had a Cuddeback cam for the last three seasons. It seems that after about a week, the deer either become camera shy or begin posing for it. I believe that it is caused by the flash during low light conditions. This means that I have to go out and move it regularly, thus scenting up the woods more. To help allieviate this problem I've purchased three more Cuddeback no flash cameras and card viewer. My birthday present to myself, don't know what I'm getting myself for X-mas yet! I should have had them a month ago. When the second rut starts there is a peak in big buck activity and I want to cover more trails at once because I'm sure that there are some real monsters out there that I never see. I think it'd be fun to try and catch them on camera before they get camera wise.

Does anybody have any tips on how to set these up so the deer don't detect them so easily? Will the no flash do it for me? It seems that even with the no flash, they seem to pick it up, going by the pics I see where the buck is staring at the camera.

TIA
Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trail cam tips?

Greg,

I agree with Droptine. Keep it higher. I have noticed deer looking at the camera, but I have not witnessed any deer running away, have you?
Do you feel like it is hurting your hunting? Good luck, and please keep us posted on your observations!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Site Buck Guru

Those are good tips. I've read about the elevated camera but have not tried it yet.

It has not hurt my hunting because I haven't put the camera out until I was done hunting. I didn't risk it.

I haven't had any deer running away from the camera, they just start skirting around it after a week or so.

BTW, can't bait in Ill.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg....3 new Cudde no flash and a viewer? WOW...$$$$$$ Happy bday to you. I have a Cudde 3.0 and have sat in my stand and watched deer get a picture taken with the flash lighting up the woods.

Not saying the flash doesn't ever spook a deer, but I have alot of pics over an old mineral lick where some pretty nice bucks stay in front of the camera for quitesome time. Good luck with the noflash. I still like the color nightime pics better. I have noticed the noflash pictures will blur at night sometimes.

MyCudde will blur during daylight if the animal walks by too fast. The night ones are always crisp and clear though. Can't wait to see some pics. Be sure to post them.

By the way I have my camera about 20-24 inches from the ground. Of course the height would factor along with how far away the animal will be from the camera.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Guys,
I've had a Cuddeback cam for the last three seasons. It seems that after about a week, the deer either become camera shy or begin posing for it. I believe that it is caused by the flash during low light conditions. This means that I have to go out and move it regularly, thus scenting up the woods more. To help allieviate this problem I've purchased three more Cuddeback no flash cameras and card viewer. My birthday present to myself, don't know what I'm getting myself for X-mas yet! I should have had them a month ago. When the second rut starts there is a peak in big buck activity and I want to cover more trails at once because I'm sure that there are some real monsters out there that I never see. I think it'd be fun to try and catch them on camera before they get camera wise.

Does anybody have any tips on how to set these up so the deer don't detect them so easily? Will the no flash do it for me? It seems that even with the no flash, they seem to pick it up, going by the pics I see where the buck is staring at the camera.

TIA
Another cool trick I do with my no-flash is set it up on a good trail but I mount it on a branch above the trail. It works well escpecially if you put a little food under the camera to get them to stop and pose for you!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Site Buck Guru

janesburg, I have the height thing down.

standing...

Old 12-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Site Buck Guru

Running..

Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

thats a nice buck... hopefully i get my new trail camera this christmas! i cant wait to set it out where i want to instead of just viewing the pics where my brother put his at
Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 AM

Greg,

I have been very lucky to be in a position to try out several different trail cams. To be honest CuddyBack might be the best out there. But don't be suckered in by infraRed cams. I have seen deer spoke from those going off too. I was explained to that it still makes a high pitched sound when it goes off and can spook deer.
As for checking your cams without scenting up your woods, I came across a camera that I have set up in MO, OH, and TX. That I can check at anytime I want through the internet. It is called Smart Scouter, they have many options one being view photos through the web to a live feed. I think it is neat, haven't had to many problems, but than again I just got them.

Quick Reply: Trail cam tips?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.