Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Amish tresspassing on our land

Old 12-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Amish tresspassing on our land

The Amish are terrible about trespassing around here. Few people are willing to call the law on them and they seem to know it. One local farmer finally pressed charges after many warnings and finding their buggy tied to the gate post that had a NO TRESPASSING sign on it! He finally just gave up and called the law. There is very little game in their neighborhoods around here as they are extremely hard on all wildlife. Not trying to stereotype but that is the way it is in south central Iowa. And if you give one permission you better be prepared to have them all. Also, funny how they buy up all the rifle ammunition at a friends store right before shotgun deer season telling him they are going coyote hunting. Keep in mind that rifles are illegal here for deer hunting except the late doe season.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Two episodes of trespass in 6-7 years, including a kid whose dad made him apologize? Most people in lots of areas would be happy if they only had to deal with two episodes of trespass during one hunting season. Dunno if i would use thatto justify giving an entire group a bad rap.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM

gzg38b, yes most Native Americans are protected from game laws on reservations. It's the least we can do. After all, Europeans took what did not belong to them and told the Natives where, how, andwhen they could live their lives after 25,000 years, doing it the way they knew. Im not against game laws, but it seems that the Natives were doing it right long before there were laws, think about it, deer and many other animals almost became extinct at one point, because of... you guessed it... Europeans/settlers.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Site Bouncer

That's it....I'm not buying any more of their furniture......That'll fix em.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

gzg38b, yes most Native Americans are protected from game laws on reservations. It's the least we can do. After all, Europeans took what did not belong to them and told the Natives where, how, andwhen they could live their lives after 25,000 years, doing it the way they knew. Im not against game laws, but it seems that the Natives were doing it right long before there were laws, think about it, deer and many other animals almost became extinct at one point, because of... you guessed it... Europeans/settlers.
On reservations, fine. But it's not just on the reservations. It's on public land and waters too. That's the part I don't get.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is how it is here. I would be the last to blame the Amish as a whole but we have a very bad sec here and many are moving away to escape the evil doers among them. Here is just one of the stories about this particular clan. []

ROCKDALE TOWNSHIP — Pennsylvania State Police are investigating the alleged disappearance of 17-year-old Mary Gingerich, whose father, Edward Gingerich, was released from prison in March 1998 after serving five years and one day for the death of her mother.

Reported missing Wednesday night, Mary Gingerich, of Frisbeetown Road in Rockdale Township, is believed to be in the company of several family members including her father, two brothers and a female cousin. Tribune sources confirmed Thursday that Edward Gingerich has been in the area for several months, possibly as early as December 2006.
According to state police, a dark-colored vehicle of unknown make and model reportedly transported the teen to an unknown destination.
“Circumstances of her being missing are unclear at this time and custody was an unresolved issue,” state police noted in a Thursday press release.
The body of his Edward Gingerich’s wife, Katie, was found by police at the couple’s Rockdale Township home on March 18, 1993. The 29-year-old woman died from extensive blunt-force trauma to the head and her internal organs had been removed.
Found guilty of involuntary manslaughter but mentally ill by a Crawford County jury in March 1994, Gingerich, who was 27 years old at the time of the incident, was sentenced in May of that year to serve two and one-half to five years, the maximum allowed by law. Because he received credit for the time he was lodged in Crawford County jail after his arrest the day after his wife was killed, his maximum sentence was up five years and one day after her death.
Testimony during the trial indicated Gingerich, who is Amish, suffered from schizophrenia at the time of the murder. He reportedly had stopped taking medication for paranoid schizophrenia nine months before the killing.
Shortly before Gingerich’s release, Douglas Ferguson, the Crawford County prosecutor who tried the case, said that more than 50 members of Gingerich’s former Old Order Amish community near Cambridge Springs had signed a petition advocating keeping Gingerich in a mental hospital forever.
In November 2000, Gingerich was reported to be living in the central Michigan community of Evart in Harmony Haven, a community for troubled Amish.

Yes you read it right he gutted his wife in front of the children.[:@]

[align=right][/align]

Old 12-10-2007, 04:51 PM

I don't knowof any problems here in Va like that. Sorry you have that kind of trouble, but here in Va theNative people are kind and are simply treated like garbage by the government. It's been that way for a long time in this nation. Im not Indian, Im a history teacher and I know the history quite well, it ain't pretty.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Two episodes of trespass in 6-7 years, including a kid whose dad made him apologize? Most people in lots of areas would be happy if they only had to deal with two episodes of trespass during one hunting season. Dunno if i would use thatto justify giving an entire group a bad rap.
Those two storiesweren't the only two stories. I just used them as an example. I have many more. We had MANY instances before the kid, then a break of 6-7 years, and now we have hadseveral instances the last two years.

Did you not seemy first paragraph where I said there are good and bad in all groups? Did you see the part where I said the Amish have the reputation of being the worst tresspassers, but that I didn't know if that was true? I've talked to plenty of Amish hunters while out hunting property where we both have permission. REALLY REALLY nice people I have met. We've shared some great hunting stories back at the gate. So sorry if I sounded like I was generalizing. I was trying not to do that.

We are working on getting a second prosecution, but it is hard to patrol the woods 24/7. I'm sure if we are successful, the trespassing will stop again.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I don't of any problems here in Va like that. Sorry you have that kind of trouble, but here in Va theNative people kind and are simply treated like garbage by the government. It's been that way for a long time in this nation. Im not Indian, Im a history teacher and I know the history quite well, it ain't pretty.
Long island was quite a buy.[]
Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Yeh. Bawana it is truly sad that we can give illegal immigrants health care and tax breaks, give welfare to those who can work, yet, we dump on those who were kind to us from the beginning, who actually saved us from disaster in Jamestown. I don't have idols or heroes but Sitting Bull and Red Cloud would come close, ask Custer how they enjoyed life on the plains....

Quick Reply: Amish tresspassing on our land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.