Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Amish tresspassing on our land

Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 PM

Default RE: Amish tresspassing on our land

I have no experience with the Amish as far as hunting goes, but I can tell you that they will terrorize trout streams around here before season opens. There is a stream here (Brush Creek) that will get all but fished out by the Amish before season opens. They don't even try to hide it, they do it during daylight hours the day before trout season opens, right off the side of the road.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's very possible you were looking at mennonites. If it wasn't for the fact that they smack some very nice deer...

I figure they pretty much best me. Then again I'm not hunting agaisnt them on my own land. Them boys are woodsman.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bawa,

Am I missing something. I don't see where it was proved or even suggested that it was Amish that did this.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My inlaws from the UP complain mostly about the Indians "poaching" all year. I guess they can legally hunt and fish pretty much whenever they want because it's part of their culture that is protected by law?????
Giant Nontypical

It was a mile from my house .Small town America I'm still looking for the original story.

The original story had descriptions of the perp's[:-]
Spike

i'm good friends with alot of amish ..yeah there are some bad and some good....just like us ....just believe in different things.... just like us ... so don't knock all of them .. the ones i know put small fish back and only shoot big buck and hunt just like us ...
Old 12-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

The story.

VERNON TOWNSHIP — A Meadville man had the doe he shot Monday afternoon taken at gunpoint by three men, according to Vernon Township Police.

“It’s an armed robbery and an assault,” said Sgt. Randy Detzel. “They knocked him to the ground and took his deer.”
The incident happened around 1 p.m. on top of Gable Hill off Route 322, about six miles west of Meadville, according to police.
“I’m really, really upset about the whole ordeal,” Robert Hanna, 42, of Meadville told the Tribune late Monday afternoon. “(It’s) over a dumb deer. If they wanted it so bad I would have said ‘take it.’ ”
Hanna had shot the doe and was unhooking his safety to get ready to come down from his tree stand when he was approached by three men with rifles.
Hanna told the Tribune that he had his back to the deer and didn’t see or hear the men approach.
Two of the men had beards and were dressed in denim coats with orange vests and hats. The third man, who was dressed in orange hunting suit, hauled the deer away.
Hanna said he was ordered by the two bearded men in denim coats with orange vests and hats to empty his rifle by firing it. Hanna also was ordered to open his gun’s breach and throw the gun down.
He said the two men had spoken German.
The two ordered him down out of the stand at gunpoint. Hanna said he then was struck from behind with a rifle by one of the two men and knocked to the ground.
“I didn’t pass out, but it put me right to the ground,” Hanna said of the blow to his back. “It took me a half-hour to get out of the woods.”
Hanna estimates he was 300 to 400 yards off the highway.
He then contacted police about the robbery.
Persons with information are asked to contact Vernon Township Police at 333-6309 or through the Crawford County 911 Center at 724-2545.
[align=right][/align]

Old 12-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I looked up the original story which did indicate that it was Amish. But something is fishy since the wording of the story is almost identical to another report of such an incident that proved to be a hoax. I guess that it could be true, but the incident was so rare and strange that it has been included on "Weird news" sites. So, I don't know if i would cite it as an example of trespass by Amish as a common theme even if it is true.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I still feel scent loc is worth the money.

Forget the wind just hunt.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Anyone have any problems with Amish trespassing on everyone's land?
The short answer is yes. Unfortunately they have a bad rap around these parts as being the worst trespassers. Don't know if that is true or not, but what I do know is that there are good and bad among the Amish just as there are among any culture. The law abiding Amishare really mad aboutthe members of their group that don't follow the rules.

Anyway, here is my story. We bought our farm about 12 years ago. Had terrible problems with the Amish trespassing until one day we found a bunch of Conibear traps set up on the small game trails to and from our corn field. 9 trap sets and all had the required name tag except one. One of the other hunters on our farm witnessed an Amish kid checking his traps one evening, loading up a wheelbarrow with coons, and walking back to his house about 1 mile away. Made a report to the game warden. Charges: trapping without permission, illegal land sets of conibear traps of that size, and the one trap that did not have a name tag. Cost: $400. That's a lot of coon skins. Have to give the kid's dad credit though because he made the young man call me on the telephone and apologize. Now the good thing in all of this is that the Amish are a small community and we had zero problems with Amish trespassing for the next 6-7 years. The bad part is that it started up again about 2 years ago. A large group of Amish was witnessed driving our woods and shooting a deer. The people who saw this could not get through the deep snow to get any information. I found the gut pile and the trail where they drug the deer out to the road on the back sideof the farm. I know if I can just catch them again, the tresspassing will stop again. So far no luck though.

My advice is to do everything possible to catch them in the act and have them prosecuted. Word will get around and your problems will stop.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Amish tresspassing on our land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.