Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tough year...

Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Tough year...

Ok,my year started out TOUGH too. I spent the first 6 days in a tree with only 5 deer sightings.....all day sits, mind you. I also missed a wolf and then 5 days later did it again. My fault, overestimated the yardage and rushed the shot. I have killed a couple good bucks with the gun, but not a single deer with the bow.

Now, its late season and I'm still just as excited about it as the first day of the season. So what if the deer have been pressured....can't kill what I want if I'm not out there or settle for something less than I want....

There's still lots of 5 seconds left.........
Old 12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, it's been a tough season for me too. I've got over 90 hours logged in the stand thus far this year, and that doesn't count the time in the woods moving/hanging stands, scouting, and other hunting related tasks.

I'm not having a terrible year, I've got two does in the freezer, but I haven't been able to put it together yet on a buck. I've still got a few more weeks left starting tomorrow, so I haven't given up hope.

Hang in there, you'll get 'em. Like Dan said, it only takes 5 seconds.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Site Buck Guru

I've had seasons like that. It's like a game of chess, you don't win them all, but I keep trying. Them deer are damn good chess players.

Look at last year for me, you think that I wanted to get up on Christmas morning at 4 AM and go out to my stand? I told myself that I couldn't get one laying in bed so off I went. I was rewarded. It felt plenty good after working so hard for one. I've also had deerless seasons as well. Don't give up.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:20 PM

Yeah I can cry a wider river than you I bet.. I spent $700 on non resident Montana Elk/deer tags and a DIY archery hunt and came back with a mulie doe.. and mental images and movies of some nice bulls on private land that we couldn't hunt.... look forward to next year and go duck hunting now is my motto.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Over 100 hours on stand so far this year, and NOTHING to show for it. It is to the point now that I want some meat, so whatever comes within range, is fair game, as long as it is legal game.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Firm believer that deer are given. Always a good reason for it. Something in your future that this time isshaping. Enjoy it.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 rifle bucks down for me this year but no archery bucks.I think anyone can relate to what you are experiencing.I am a firm believer in giving it all you have and accepting what ever happens.That is not a justification for failure,and I do mean giving it all you have,not a half hearted effort.I also find it important to enjoy all aspects of hunting.I have had some of the best things in my life happen to me when I just focused on the things that I could control and went at it in a relaxed way.
Good luck Dan! I hope you take a beauty!