Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rocky Mountain Snyper slides by bone???

Old 01-26-2003, 06:55 AM

Default Rocky Mountain Snyper slides by bone???

This Snyper looks interesting! Does anyone know how it works? The review I read seems to say that it can close itself to pass by a bone and then will reopen on the other side. Do they make a 3 blade version?

In a very real sense it is also cut to the point. There is a tiny blade on the front.

beprepn
Old 01-26-2003, 08:40 AM

Default RE: Rocky Mountain Snyper slides by bone???

Look at the rocky mountain/barrie archery website. The blades are made to move when contacting bone. Snypers penetrate great and out of the heads I have shot they provide the largest entry wounds. I will probably receive criticism for this because you shouldn't base a decision on one hunt , but I only shot one deer with a Snyper. I double lunged a doe and had a huge entry wound and descent exit. However the bloodtrail was very sparse and it took me a while to find the deer. I have had much better bloodtrails with Spitfires especially and Rocket hammerhead 3 blade heads . So I went back to those ! I should probably try a Snyper again !
Old 01-26-2003, 09:22 AM
CG

My experience with the Snyper says the tip will bend or break when encountering bone.....Other than the tip I think it is the best design out there.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 01-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Based on CG's experiences I took a Snyper and put it through the heavy part of the shoulder of the Whitetail buck I took this year. It blasted right through. There was a small amount of bending of the tip of the ferrule. The year before I spined a whitetail doe, with one of the expanding blades catching the spine with no ill effect to the head except some dulling of the blades. I've also shattered several whtetail ribs with that head, with no ill effects to the head. However, the head's weakness is at the point where the ferrule tip meets the body of the ferrule as testing in concrete has shown. I would not use this head on game larger than whitetails. I would have no reservations using this head on whitetails. FWIW
Old 01-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Snyper is one of my favorite mechanicals. They penetrate very well in most materials. they open in a rearward manor, this allows for an entrace wound everytime, and helps increase penetration potential. Once they are open, they stay open as long as they are moving foward. As for bone, keep in mind no two bone hits are the same. Ribs are nothing, while the spine and heavy ridge on the shoulder blade are super tough. they only come in two ( or 4 if you count the blade tip) blade version, and only in 100 grns. The blade tip is practical as it opens the wound channel up enough that the hole the head makes looks more like that of a 4 blade head than a two.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS