Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"So you wanna learn how to shoot 3D?"

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "So you wanna learn how to shoot 3D?"

This is the reason I don't compete for real anymore. I used to have a lot of fun at shoots and after a while it got so serious that it was like work.
The last few compound shoots I went to, it was like being in a library where you can't hardly breathe without someone getting all disturbed. Everybody all tight and serious. That's one reason I enjoyed doing the 'gamesmanship' things with them, just to piss them off.

I suggest grabbing your recurve or longbow and get to an all-traditional 3D shoot. You wouldn't recognize it as being the same game. It's like being at a birthday party, where you can joke and laugh out loud and genuinely enjoy yourself. It really is a whole different world with a completely different mindset.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd like to do that, too, Arthur.

I don't think I have enough arrows, though.[&:]
Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

This is the reason I don't compete for real anymore. I used to have a lot of fun at shoots and after a while it got so serious that it was like work.
The last few compound shoots I went to, it was like being in a library where you can't hardly breathe without someone getting all disturbed. Everybody all tight and serious. That's one reason I enjoyed doing the 'gamesmanship' things with them, just to piss them off.

I suggest grabbing your recurve or longbow and get to an all-traditional 3D shoot. You wouldn't recognize it as being the same game. It's like being at a birthday party, where you can joke and laugh out loud and genuinely enjoy yourself. It really is a whole different world with a completely different mindset.
I usually go to one 3D shoot a year here in Minnesota. Its a traditional shoot with 60 different targets. They have 3rounds to it, one is awestern round, one is a Minnesota round, the other is a Africa round. There are realistic shots which you don't always see when going to a regular 3D shoot. I would love to go to more of these, there's no excuse for me not doing more of these, good practice in the off season and it keeps your shoulder in shape too. The people are very easy going as well at these traditional shoots i've been to.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd like to do that, too, Arthur.

I don't think I have enough arrows, though.
Don't worry about that. Most traditional shooters are experts at finding arrows that missed. I'm a Jedi master at it, with all the practice I've had.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope you can make it...I'm ready to see a little Matt/PA, Rick James, buckeye showdown.
LOL, me too.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Biggest problem I'm having in 3D is..........

Learning how to slow everything down to the point that it takes 5 minutes to loose one arrow. I'm practicing for the upcoming 3D season by watching mind-numbing BS on television. I've graduated to the point to where now it takes me 2 hours to watch 60 minutes.

I'm getting there.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont count Rob out!! lol........

I'll be at the GTG, but won't be shooting from HC stakes. I'm probably going to shoot Open this year but if I can get my hands on an 82nd and can get it tuned to where I have 100% confidence in it, I may stay back in MBR for one more season. Hopefully Justin can have some long stakes setup for us to shoot from.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

What am I gonna have to turn my 82nd down to ......to keep below 280fps with the arrow setup you gave me, Matt?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Id love to get into three d, but there is no where, within 150 miles from me to do so.[:@][:@]
Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Biggest problem I'm having in 3D is..........

Learning how to slow everything down to the point that it takes 5 minutes to loose one arrow. I'm practicing for the upcoming 3D season by watching mind-numbing BS on television. I've graduated to the point to where now it takes me 2 hours to watch 60 minutes.

I'm getting there.
I'll admitI'm usually the slowest guy in my group, but in all reality I'm able to pick a yardage number, and make my shot in well under the 2 minute mark. If I setup my shot wrong and I know it's not going to be a strong shot I'm not going to waste the arrow and will let down and start over, but I'm still typically way under the 2 minute mark.

How long does it take a pro golfer to size everything up and calculate everything before he putts a complicated putt? What about a longer shot, how long does it take to figure out the distance and select which club? Isn't this similar in golf?

Quick Reply: "So you wanna learn how to shoot 3D?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.