Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"So you wanna learn how to shoot 3D?"

Old 12-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "So you wanna learn how to shoot 3D?"

The guys that are counting steps or looking at sight tape settings in the open class are not the ones winning,the ones winning can judge yardage.

Seems like yardage gets discussed alot at the local level AFTER the shot and sometimes at the national level,one piece of advice NEVER believe what they tell you.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice post Matt. In all my competitive shooting I never shot HC. I only shot in MBR and Open. I felt it wouldn't have been fair for me to shoot HC.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I felt it wouldn't have been fair for me to shoot HC.
Why do you think I did it for only 1 yr? LOL
A little history to that picture at the bottom of my post........it was from the very first "Big shoot" I ever attended and the only ASA Pro/Am to ever come to PA. They shoot Hunter Class to 40yds max (vs 35 IBO) and a bunch of friends got together to see what these big shoots were like and just get some experience. We're talking anational event with like 1000 total shooters attending and the first time I have ever tried ASA scoring.
I guess I found out pretty quickly after the 2 day event that I would be "competitive" on the National level. That was my one and only ASA National event (where they shoot offset 12's) and the guy standing there with the 2nd place check was the "ASA Shooter of the Year" in that class.

But make no mistake everyone, National level Hunter classIS big boy shooting. It's no joke, there are a bunch of shooters in that class that will clobber a good local shooter. We're talking X counts on a National levelapproaching 1/2 the targets and up and you better be shooting lots of points up overall to have any shot.

To give you an idea of where you might stand, to be competitive nationally in HC, to even think you have a shot at top 10 you better be the "big dog" in your area and seriously be averaging an honest 15-18x's per 30 target round locally with a 310-315 scoring avg to be a player on the National level at the 35 yard mark. Its just like any sport where you hit the higher levels..... When you shoot on the National level the guys in the top 20 at any class are the "All Stars" from their states.

MBR class that I shoot now is REALLY tough. We shoot out past 45 yards with fixed pins (some shots pushing 50 )and our avergae shot is basically the longest shot you'll see in HC. There are MBR guys who go straight from MBR toPro.

Don't let that discourage you obviously , make 3D whatever you want of it and there is honor in improving on your own self imposed goals and expectations. I bet there are some really competitive guys out there who just need to see what they can do and I hope some of these tips help someone advance a littleor maybe whoop up on their buddies for a beer if that's what you're after.

P.S. If I make the HNI get together this year nobody forgettheir wallets.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I felt it wouldn't have been fair for me to shoot HC.
Why do you think I did it for only 1 yr? LOL
A little history to that picture at the bottom of my post........it was from the very first "Big shoot" I ever attended and the only ASA Pro/Am to ever come to PA. They shoot Hunter Class to 40yds max (vs 35 IBO) and a bunch of friends got together to see what these big shoots were like and just get some experience. We're talking anational event with like 1000 total shooters attending and the first time I have ever tried ASA scoring.
I guess I found out pretty quickly after the 2 day event that I would be "competitive" on the National level. That was my one and only ASA National event (where they shoot offset 12's) and the guy standing there with the 2nd place check was the "ASA Shooter of the Year" in that class.

But make no mistake everyone, National level Hunter classIS big boy shooting. It's no joke, there are a bunch of shooters in that class that will clobber a good local shooter. We're talking X counts on a National levelapproaching 1/2 the targets and up and you better be shooting lots of points up overall to have any shot.

To give you an idea of where you might stand, to be competitive nationally in HC, to even think you have a shot at top 10 you better be the "big dog" in your area and seriously be averaging an honest 15-18x's per 30 target round locally with a 310-315 scoring avg to be a player on the National level at the 35 yard mark. Its just like any sport where you hit the higher levels..... When you shoot on the National level the guys in the top 20 at any class are the "All Stars" from their states.

MBR class that I shoot now is REALLY tough. We shoot out past 45 yards with fixed pins (some shots pushing 50 )and our avergae shot is basically the longest shot you'll see in HC. There are MBR guys who go straight from MBR toPro.

Don't let that discourage you obviously , make 3D whatever you want of it and there is honor in improving on your own self imposed goals and expectations. I bet there are some really competitive guys out there who just need to see what they can do and I hope some of these tips help someone advance a littleor maybe whoop up on their buddies for a beer if that's what you're after.

Nowadays,you get bumped out of hunter class pretty quickly when you win money.ASA has addressed the bigboysstaying in the lower classes.That shooter of the year would have been moved up now.Atleast that was what they were TRYINGto do it the last I checked in with them.

If you know more about the rules now,please post.

That doesn't mean there aren't some damn good shooters there.

I never shot hunter class and probably wouldn't have been able to win it anyway when I was going to ASA shoots,I jumped right into open B.I really wasn't a very good shot then but I did have some fun.

I got WAY better after I quit going to them.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post!

Mat
Old 12-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Arrows: Fat arrows rule.
You'll pick up quite a few X's and borderline points in HC with fat arrows that you simply won't get with small diameter hunting style carbon arrows.
Fat arrows can be a detriment at longer yardages due to drag and wind drift for the Open Class guys but that VERY seldom comes into play in HC.
HC is all about cutting lines and if you have 2 guys with equal shooting skills and one is shooting skinny A/C/C’s and the other is shooting say big Gold Tip X-Cutters the skinny arrow guy is already points behind before the first arrow is shot. give yourself every advantage possible before you get into shooting ability!!
I used Gold Tip Pro 22’s and X-Cutters with 4” Flex Fletch FLP400 low profile vanes. They are very light stabilize great and conform to the rules of HC. Regular 4 or 5” vanes are just too heavy and drag too much. Also make sure you have some bushings or pin nocks to protect the back of your shafts…….they will take a BEATING with a good group of shooters.
I still use these same arrows but with different vanes for MBR class. all there is to it.

Good Luck and if you have any questions let me know.
Matt

I am glad you pointed this out,too many think that fatter is better regardless of the situation.I found out that for me at longer ranges,fat shafts don't work.Alot may have to due with a low energy setup.Alot of the woman pros figured this out a while back and use the small ACE's or something of that nature for long range classes.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

This is me.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

The main thing that's missing today, and the main thing that's different now from when I was competing, is a sense of humor. Maybe the youngsters that are coming up can bring it back, because it's badly needed.
This is the reason I don't compete for real anymore. I used to have a lot of fun at shoots and after a while it got so serious that it was like work. Not worth it to me anymore. The one thing I have noticed is that since I don't compete seriously my range estimation has gone in the toilet. I have become more reliant on my rangefinder and this year misjudged a 28 yard shot for a 25 yard shot on a doe(no excuse for that). So, I may start shooting more seriously to get my range estimation skills better. Plus, if I don't care about winning it is still fun, but that is hard because I'm so competitive.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if I make it dont forget what goes in the wallet or should I say what will be coming outGREAT POST!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:09 AM

[/quote]
[/quote]

I hope you can make it...I'm ready to see a little Matt/PA, Rick James, buckeye showdown.

Quick Reply: "So you wanna learn how to shoot 3D?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.