Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far do you commute to go hunting?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How far do you commute to go hunting?

So when you guys wake up in the morning to go hunting, how far is the drive from your home to your final parking area? Do you make the commute alone? If it's a long drive, how do you pass the time?

I have 3 tiers of hunting grounds:

My local areas (30-35 minute drive from home) - hunt these in the evenings after work. Always alone.

My "all day" PAareas (1:00 - 1:10 one-wayfrom home) - I hunt these areas in turkey season and when I have a full half-day to hunt. Usually make these hunts alone, also.

Mynonresident hunts (WV/OH) are between 1:20 and 1:30 away from home, one way. Once I'm tagged out in PA, I start hitting some other states. I know it sounds stupid, but there are days when I drive 3 hours round-trip, just to hunt for 2 hours. 50% of the time, I have a wingman for NR hunting.

To pass all the driving time, I usually call buddies on the cell, if anyone's awake or available. If nobody's around to talk to, I get myself all cranked up on Mountain Dew androck out to mix cd's.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far do you commute to go hunting?

from my parents where i can spend the night before/after the hunt, 5 to 10 minutes.

From where I work now, 2.5 hours
Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I sometimes have to walk (GASP!!) .7mi. to get to one of my spots. Most times about .5mi. But....my truck never leaves the driveway.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can hunt out of my back yard, not the best hunting though! 5 minutes to my main deer hunting woods. 4.5 hour drive to where I bear hunt in Minnesota. 17 hour drive to where i elk hunt in Montana.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

6 miles however that is subject to change next season. For doves I just step outside.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Spike

I drive about an 1.5 hours to the WMA.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I sometimes have to walk (GASP!!) .7mi. to get to one of my spots. Most times about .5mi. But....my truck never leaves the driveway.
TOO Lucky! Depending on what I'm hunting I'm driving anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 11 hrs. oneway
Old 12-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the area's I hunt are within 30 minutes or so.There are a couple of spots I like to go that are about 3 hours away - which if I hit those areas I make a weekend out of it...
Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 AM

i can't hunt local, and i usually do most of my hunting non-resident, so... i drive about 725miles each way to family land in AL, usually about a 15-20 minute drive to the land from where i stay...

edit - i'm hoping to change that this year and hunt some in-law land down in the peoria, IL area this coming year with my son... still about 3hrs away though...

Quick Reply: How far do you commute to go hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.