Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far do you commute to go hunting?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How far do you commute to go hunting?

.5mi to 50 miles don't drive the 50 to often
Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Currently, I have a couple spots that are 5-15 minutes from home (but 30-45 from work) that I hit in the evenings. I would love to have spots much closer to work. To me that is more important than having them close to home. On occasion if I can get out early, I will drive hour 1:15 after work for a hunt.

My "core" hunting spots are about 40-45 minutes from home. Those get hit on weekends/days offand if I can get out early.

Then I've got some adventure spots. Those range 1:00-1:15 hrs. away. Those get hit when I've used all my regular tags and still want to hunt.

And lastly are the 'headed west' spots. Those are 1:30-2:00 away, and yes I've driven 3-3.5 hrs to hunt for 3-4 hrs.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

45 minutes for most of my deer hunting
Old 12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of you guys drive a pretty good distance. Do you fellas haul a camper or get a motel, stay with family, sleep in the truck??

I know if I drive 1.5 hrs each way, and hunt all day - for the drive home, I'm TOTALLY whipped. There is no amount of AMP energy drink or Jack Johnson or Green Day rockfest that can wake me up. There's just no way I could put 3 hours (each way) behind the wheel, and hunt dark-dark on any kind of extended basis. I'd be roadkill.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a few spots that are 15-20 min. away from home and work (between the two), a couple of spots that I hunt with buddies that are 35-40 min. away,one spot that is about an hour away, when I hunt in NJ it's about a 2 hour drive, and our camp in PA is 3.5-4 hours from my home. Next year I'll be hitting OH too which will probably be a 7-8 hour drive.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can hunt right across the road from my house just to be hunting, but need to drive for an hour to get to some spots where they have some decent bone on their heads.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM

Less than a minute tothe first farm. Maybe three minutes to the second farm and six minutes to the third area.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my home state, from walking out my back door to traveling about 110 miles each way to one of my spots. Most of my whitetail and elk spots are within 75 miles, for sheds in the spring I make an annual trip to the Hells Canyon and Salmon River so about 250 miles.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Lots of you guys drive a pretty good distance. Do you fellas haul a camper or get a motel, stay with family, sleep in the truck??

I know if I drive 1.5 hrs each way, and hunt all day - for the drive home, I'm TOTALLY whipped. There is no amount of AMP energy drink or Jack Johnson or Green Day rockfest that can wake me up. There's just no way I could put 3 hours (each way) behind the wheel, and hunt dark-dark on any kind of extended basis. I'd be roadkill.
Yeah Fran, on my longer trips, I pull the camper like my antelope hunt in southern Idaho last summer.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

1 mile.

Quick Reply: How far do you commute to go hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.