Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody watching "deer and deer hunting"

Old 12-03-2007, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody watching "deer and deer hunting"

I know, I had to write that about 3 times before I thought it sorta sounded right.

They said that you couldn’t push a buck out of his core area, no matter how much you pressured him right?

Well, my question is when a buck is still determining his core area, how does pressure affect where he calls home? You’ve got woodlot “A” with all the needs for a deer & woodlot “B” with the same amenities. Woodlot “A” gets 6x the human intrusion than “B” does. I really doubt the buck is going to pick woodlot “A” to call his core home.

It seemed like that study (and I say this only going off the thread info) had a buck, safe in his already defined core area, then they tried to pressure him out. I just wanted to know if they had any mention of pressure determining where a buck chose to live in the first place.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

No they didn't. That's a great point, though. Might have something to do with the availability of "WHITETAIL" (ifyaknowwhatimean). When I was young....I'd have settled down in cleveland (no offense to you clevelanders) if the chick was THAT hot.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

GREAT talk on "pressured" whitetails.

"Very Hard" to pressure a buck from his core area.....even when pressured by hunters.....and "Almost Impossible" to push him form his home range via hunting pressure.

Interesting to say the least.
Crawl within 6 steps of him and watch what happens
Old 12-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Only thing they said woul dhappen, Gary......is he'd come right back. They said it wasn't impossible to bump him from his home range....but highly unusual. They said he would seek the refuge of the thickest, nastiest terrain.....and may become "temprarily", alomst exclusively nocturnal. They kinda stressed that going totally nocturnal was rare.

It's a really good show if you can catch it.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Easily the best Education any hunting show delivers. I consider it a must watch and its the only outdoors show on my tivo. I love that they do their shot placement section, something sorely neglected in hunting shows and mags.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:05 PM

I wonder how much research they base their assertion on. There's millions of bucks out there, millions of acres, so many variables. I've read that some bucks are home-bodys, and some are ramblers. How can you say what any given buck is going to do in any given situation?
Old 12-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

We have seen this several times...Our farms get a lot of pressure from dog hunters...They drop off at the road and try to run the bucks out, to a farm they have permission to be on...It might push him off for a while, but he comes back, guess he is just used to being in his territory...
Old 12-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe I can catch that show later on I hope. I need to get out some of my old hunting magazines. I suspect there are different views on core areas and the average size of a core area. For example perhaps the largest and maturest buck I tried to hunt for 3 seasons seemed to change his core area each year. The last season I saw him he had moved close to 3 miles away and happened to be in a smaller area I could hunt. Never did get a shot at him.......what a buck.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with most of that. I tend to believe a buck will never leave his home range. His home range being an area he will cover during an entire year and not just during the hunting season. I do think he can be bumped out of his core area in a nanosecond never to return again though.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dr. Kroll radio collared a large buck that always seemed to disappear when the hunting season started but would reappear come spring. It turned out that the buck would travel miles away to an area with no pressure and stay there until season ended, returning to his usual core area after deer season.

Quick Reply: Anybody watching "deer and deer hunting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.