Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

knifemaker looking for a lil feedback

Old 12-01-2007, 05:16 AM
Spike

Default knifemaker looking for a lil feedback

heya folks

Im a blacksmith that specializes in knife making. I had been doing a post search for the word "knife" and noticed that alot of them were in bowhunting....so welp figured yall were the ones to ask heh.
my works been ranging from expensive "collector" knives *ie anything over 200* to general purpose 80 - 200 $ ones. lately Ive been wanting to concentrate on the hunter/skinner/camp blade designs
heres a couple of examples;

those two are skinners with 1095 steel both have burled cherry handles and are what they call differentially tempered ( first the blade is hardened overall with a quench then the hardness is drawn off of the spine leaving the edge hard, allowing for a flexable knife with a harder edge than a factory "oven temper" will allow for)

then theres stuff like this subhilt fighter

that ones one of the expensive ones, ie the handforged acid etched wrought iron fittings alone took a full day to make, etch, and fit. point of showing though is blade design.

ok on to my question.
when your looking for a good knife for all around camping, what blade shape and length do you prefer?
when your looking for a skinner, again, what blade length?
thanks all for reading and taking time to reply.
Shane
Red Dog Forge
ps, for those of you that go to my site via my profile theres not much up there, ie only about 8 or so, most of which have sold and only some fancy art knives available. I actually have about 6 pieces on my bench right now, but all are about a week from being done. ie handle finish and sheaths etc

Old 12-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: knifemaker looking for a lil feedback

Nice looking knives, ever though I am not much of a knife guy. Be a little carefull about trying to sell stuff on here I am pretty sure it is a no no.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Lisa gave me this one from JRJ Knives in PA for my B-day. Matt/PA had recommended this exact knife to me. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

The knife is 8-1/4" long....and is the perfect weight and length for my purposes (whitetail deer).

Old 12-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Spike

nice! how long is that blade itself? and how wide in profile?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Not sure.....and don't have time to measure, right now. I'll post more photos, later.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a picture of the knife my stepdad made for my daughter.

He is much more "new school' than what you do.His knives have probably skinned and dressed several hundred deer over the years and they are very well recieved by the customers.They are a great size and shape for the hunter that USES his or her knives.Handle is 4" as well as the blade making the overall length 8".

I also really like the knife gmmat has posted but the handle looks a little long for MY liking but I have really small hands.

Hereit isina custom sheath.

He also made a couple of knives a few years back in a homemade forge but nothing like what you are doing,very impressive.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I make hunting knives, I have sold a few on thee classified forum. Ifound outthat before hunting season, June- Aug I sold the heck out of hunting knives. During or just after they didn't sell as good. I only make custom orders now.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Spike

thanks all keep em coming!
rev what are your more popular styles and sizes?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Spike

oh hey one other question folks, do yall prefer a hanging belt sheath or a wetmolded that encloses most of the knife including the handle and why?
thanks again
Shane
Old 12-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

when your looking for a good knife for all around camping, what blade shape and length do you prefer?
when your looking for a skinner, again, what blade length?
Im not too sure on knife jargin' but I like a blade thats pretty similiar to the Gerber Gator.. if that helps you. And about 4.5 - 5.5 inches.
For a skinner about 3-4".. but would rather take a good 3". Easier to move.

Hope this helps.. some...

Quick Reply: knifemaker looking for a lil feedback

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.