Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick Trick Penetration is TOO good. So I'm looking for a new broadhead.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Slick Trick Penetration is TOO good. So I'm looking for a new broadhead.

Slick Tricks have given me a complete passthrough every single time (9 for 9). Usually the arrow sticks in the ground 3 or 4 inches after passing through. That's a good thing, right?

That's also why I'm thinking about switching to a bigger broadhead. The way I see it, putting a broadhead 4 inches into the dirt after a passthrough means I've got plenty of extra kinetic energy that I'm wasting. I could be shooting a bigger broadhead and cutting more of the vitals, and getting better even blood trails and even shorter tracking jobs.

I've got around 74-75 ft-lbs of KE, and I shoot a 500 grain arrow at 260 fps so that's plenty of momentum too. I'm thinking about going to a 2" cut mechanical. The Rage 2 blade looks good, but I also liked the looks of the 2" Rocket Stricknine the Drury and Primos boys shoot (or used to shoot).

Nothing wrong with slick tricks. I LOVE them. But why not take advantage of my kinetic energy and shoot the biggest broadhead that will still give me a passthrough? I'd rather have a 2" hole sticking 1" into the dirt than a 1" hole sticking 4" into the dirt. Make sense to anybody else, or am I smoking something?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick Penetration is TOO good. So I'm looking for a new broadhead.

Actually it means you got a good sharp broad head. I love slick tricks. Ive only used them a few times, but loved them. They are hard to get around here and sometimes it takes a while to get them in the mail, so I stick with Muzzy. But if you want a bigger cut you might look into a rage two blade. Ive never used them, but ive seen many posts on them, and they leave a moster hole. Ive been very impressed. I think im going to get me some and use them on hogs this year to see how well they do.

Default RE: Slick Trick Penetration is TOO good. So I'm looking for a new broadhead.

Don't do it bro. If ain't broke don't fix it. Im pushing 93lbs of KE at 309 fps with a 400 gr arrow, I shoot 90 gr 4 blade muzzy and it is awesome. I would not go any bigger than what you have, you will lose penetration...
Nontypical Buck

Don't fix what ain't broke. Thats all I got to say. You might catch that rib wrong with a big two blade and woops there goes your wounded deer never to be found..... Thats why I stick to my muzzys even though the rages looks tempting. WCL
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am doing the samething

I think the rage BH were shipped today.

Interesting post. Hard to mess with success, but bigger holes are nice.
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Don't do it bro. If ain't broke don't fix it. Im pushing 93lbs of KE at 309 fps with a 400 gr arrow, I shoot 90 gr 4 blade muzzy and it is awesome. I would not go any bigger than what you have, you will lose penetration...
I understand what you're saying, but what good does it do to bury the arrow in the dirt up to the fletchings when you could have used some of that extra KE to cut more of the DEER instead of driving the arrow further into the dirt?

If you're shooting 90 ft-lbs of KE with a small fixed blade broadhead at a whitetail, you've probably got way more "penetration" ability than you actually need. With that much KE, you could probably shoot a 2.5" 3 blade and still get passthroughs every time (as long as you don't hit the front shoulder bone, which you shouldn't be aiming at anyway even with a fixed blade).
Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

Don't fix what ain't broke. Thats all I got to say. You might catch that rib wrong with a big two blade and woops there goes your wounded deer never to be found..... Thats why I stick to my muzzys even though the rages looks tempting. WCL
Ive used small two blades and had no problem. When I started bow hunting, i used the old bear two blades. The kind you had to sharpen with a file,and never any problem. Not disputing you, just curious if you have had any problem with a two blade before. Id like to know so I dont make the same mistakes. Ive never had a problem with muzzy of slick tricks thats why I dont switch during bow deer season. Hog hunting is year around here, so I like to try different things on the hogs. Besides, if it works on hogs, it will work on just about anything else walking in my part of the woods.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Dominant Buck

The rage heads ARE "as advertised". They do some drastic destruction.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I understand what you're saying, but what good does it do to bury the arrow in the dirt up to the fletchings when you could have used some of that extra KE to cut more of the DEER instead of driving the arrow further into the dirt?

If you're shooting 90 ft-lbs of KE with a small fixed blade broadhead at a whitetail, you've probably got way more "penetration" ability than you actually need. With that much KE, you could probably shoot a 2.5" 3 blade and still get passthroughs every time (as long as you don't hit the front shoulder bone, which you shouldn't be aiming at anyway even with a fixed blade).

If you are not having any recovery or tracking problems I see no need to switch. My Stingers bury deep in the ground every time as well, they also leave big holes and lots of blood on a short recovery trail. What else is there?

You run the risk of pushing the envelope to far and not getting a passthrough.

Quick Reply: Slick Trick Penetration is TOO good. So I'm looking for a new broadhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.