Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick Trick Penetration is TOO good. So I'm looking for a new broadhead.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick Penetration is TOO good. So I'm looking for a new broadhead.

There's lots of good reviews on the Rage 2 blade. Has anybody shot the Rocket Stricknine? It's a 3 blade 2" cut jacknife style mechanical but the chisel tip is well forward of the blades to minimize deflection.

I noticed on the Primos Truth Bowhunting DVD's they were shooting the Bear Truth bow (316 IBO - same as my bow) with the 2" cut Rocket Stricknines and they usually got passthrough's, unless they shot too far forward. And they were shooting at deer that are much bigger than anything I'll ever see in Michigan. They dropped FAST too, usually on camera. That's what I want. I want to see them go down!

Why not put all of the Kinetic Energy you can into the DEER, not the ground? To me, the perfect shot would blow about a 2" hole on the entrance, and have the fletching of the arrow JUST BARELY pass through the opposite side on the way out. If you're arrow is still traveling 250 fps after passing through the deer, then you are wasting all that Kinetic Energy IMO.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick Penetration is TOO good. So I'm looking for a new broadhead.

I am not a fan of mechanicals, so if you are looking a bigger head, you could always look at the Wac'Em Triton XL, they are an 1 1/4" fixed blade. Really sharp and durable, and not a mechanical. Just my $.02
Old 11-29-2007, 03:32 PM

Sounds like a good job for Mythbusters...lol Seriously tho I think with that kind of kenetice energy you will be perfectly fine shooting the Rage broadheads. I'm shooting slick tricks right now along with Wasp Jackhammer SST expandables and for some reason everytime i go out i grab the Wasp because of the 1-3/4" cutting diameter. The first deer i shot with the Wasp dropped within 30 yards. I'm gonna go with the Rage 2 blades next season.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are not having any recovery or tracking problems I see no need to switch. My Stingers bury deep in the ground every time as well, they also leave big holes and lots of blood on a short recovery trail. What else is there?

You run the risk of pushing the envelope to far and not getting a passthrough.
You know the more deer I shoot, the more I think the angle has to do with getting a pass thru than my arrow setup.
I like a 500+ grain arrow, I have shot them with muzzy, thunderhead, chuckit, strikers and Montecs. All shots taken with a broadside deer zipped through like butter. A qtr away shot where I hit the opposite side shoulder does not. I am just about to the pointI amgoing totake a broadsideshotor no shot. If I do not get a pass through I want a big entry hole. Atlas is correct it's a catch 22. It could help me or cost me.

I am going to try late season here and see what happens.

If aint broke I would still be shooting my point blank bowBbeing the reviews we have had from members here, I am confident in the rage.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 11-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Ive used small two blades and had no problem. When I started bow hunting, i used the old bear two blades. The kind you had to sharpen with a file,and never any problem. Not disputing you, just curious if you have had any problem with a two blade before. Id like to know so I dont make the same mistakes. Ive never had a problem with muzzy of slick tricks thats why I dont switch during bow deer season. Hog hunting is year around here, so I like to try different things on the hogs. Besides, if it works on hogs, it will work on just about anything else walking in my part of the woods.
Nope never shot a 2 blade or a mechanical ever, just seen and heard many horror hunts of lost deer amd elk hit where they should have been and either arrow deflection upon entry and/or no exit hole due to it or other things. Found a couple of animals by luck of searching that buddies have shot with mechanicals and they were hit good with placement but for whatever reason there was no exit and the no blood trail due to it... I prolly won't ever shoot a mechanical even though the rage look good and have seen some vry good kills due to it but that two blade worries me for whatever reason when bigger ribs are involved, hogs sure it aint gonna matter but bigger ribs like deer and more worry of elk those angled shots worry me when you think about runnin a two blade through em at any quartering angles. Thats good you have hogs to practice on. That would be nice and fun to boot.In that case I'd say go have some fun and rip some big holes in em even if you do or dont decide to use em on deer. WCL
Old 11-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Ive used small two blades and had no problem. When I started bow hunting, i used the old bear two blades. The kind you had to sharpen with a file,and never any problem. Not disputing you, just curious if you have had any problem with a two blade before. Id like to know so I dont make the same mistakes. Ive never had a problem with muzzy of slick tricks thats why I dont switch during bow deer season. Hog hunting is year around here, so I like to try different things on the hogs. Besides, if it works on hogs, it will work on just about anything else walking in my part of the woods.
Nope never shot a 2 blade or a mechanical ever, just seen and heard many horror hunts of lost deer amd elk hit where they should have been and either arrow deflection upon entry and/or no exit hole due to it or other things. Found a couple of animals by luck of searching that buddies have shot with mechanicals and they were hit good with placement but for whatever reason there was no exit and the no blood trail due to it... I prolly won't ever shoot a mechanical even though the rage look good and have seen some vry good kills due to it but that two blade worries me for whatever reason when bigger ribs are involved, hogs sure it aint gonna matter but bigger ribs like deer and more worry of elk those angled shots worry me when you think about runnin a two blade through em at any quartering angles. Thats good you have hogs to practice on. That would be nice and fun to boot.In that case I'd say go have some fun and rip some big holes in em even if you do or dont decide to use em on deer. WCL
I just realized, the rage is only a mechanical. I thought it was a fixed two blade, or a mechanical version. Im not real kicked in the head about mechanicals. Ive used them, but did not like them much.

My bad.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are serious about only taking broadside or nearly so shots, I dont think there is no reason to not switch to a larger cutting diameter. Right now, you are right,it sounds like you are 'wasting' energy. Just dont catch the onside shoulder with yourmediocre momentum although high KE
Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go for it, I love the Rage heads. Any BH will do the job on a perfrct hit. But where the bigger Dia. cuts really help are on those marginal shots that are not quite perfect. That 2 inch hole is hard to survive even if it is not thru both lungs or heart. They do a lot of damage and are suprisingly tuff too. I have shot 2 deer with one and sharpened it up and plan on shooting another with it. This is where they are better than the Hammerheads I used to shoot. They were pretty much a one shot Broadhead.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

If you are not having any recovery or tracking problems I see no need to switch. My Stingers bury deep in the ground every time as well, they also leave big holes and lots of blood on a short recovery trail. What else is there?

You run the risk of pushing the envelope to far and not getting a passthrough.
You know the more deer I shoot, the more I think the angle has to do with getting a pass thru than my arrow setup.
I like a 500+ grain arrow, I have shot them with muzzy, thunderhead, chuckit, strikers and Montecs. All shots taken with a broadside deer zipped through like butter. A qtr away shot where I hit the opposite side shoulder does not. I am just about to the pointI amgoing totake a broadsideshotor no shot. If I do not get a pass through I want a big entry hole. Atlas is correct it's a catch 22. It could help me or cost me.

I am going to try late season here and see what happens.

If aint broke I would still be shooting my point blank bowBbeing the reviews we have had from members here, I am confident in the rage.
My brother drilled a good buck last year and hit the opposite shoulder........we were forced to track him by prints and upturned leaves........he dropped exactlyone dropof blood before we found him. Shot placement of course has a big say ib whether or not that arrow goes through.

I thingfor sure, is nothing is for sure. You know I had a Stinger break on a opposite side rib last year and even though I had no issues tracking him or finding him it bothered me. This year I busted through 7 ribs with them.Ihave no explanation for why that is.

Quick Reply: Slick Trick Penetration is TOO good. So I'm looking for a new broadhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.