Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bow w/pic

Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Bow w/pic

I retired my old bow two weeks ago (Jennings) and went to Scheels Sporting Goods to look at new ones. The reason I retired the Jennings was it was turned down about as far as she could go and still at 70 lbs pull. With my shoulder surgery almost 2 years ago, on cold days I could only draw once before my shoulder was aching. While at Scheels, there was a bow that looks just like a Matthews but only has the Scheels label on it. When I asked the salesman who made this bow for Scheels, he told me that he did not know who the manufacturer was. Anyway, they dialed it down to 45 lbs pull and I can shoot a dozen times before the shoulder hurts. Has the Whisker Bisket and low light fiber optic sights. Am hoping I can continue to bow hunt for many years without having to make the transition to a crossbow.

Anyway, for a non-name brand bow, this bow is pretty sweet. And the best part was it was 1/2 the price of many of the other bows. I know you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can't pay for what you want so you go to plan B.

BTW, Anyone know anyone who needs a left handed bow cheap?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:24 AM

Default RE: New Bow

Sounds like you done good. I'm glad to see you taking care of your shoulder. I know several guys that simply ignored it, and now they can't shoot a bow at all. Got a pic of that rascal?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question is, did you buy the bow? What weight range is it? I figure you may as well go with something like a 40-50 being as you seem to like 45#---or at least it agrees with your shoulders. Kudo's to you. You could have taken the easy route and got a crossbow. I applaude you.

If you haven't purcahsed the bow and are still looking, there are sveral companies making easy-draw models now. Seems like there are a mess of us old and/or decrepid soles out here. Parker makes and easy draw and Martin has several with the MPro cam that is really sweet. Other companies make a model or two also. Shoot some and see what fits your shoulders and pocketbook.

Just understand that easy draw means a round cam so will not be as fast as harder cams. But then sometimes that isn't so much of an issue. Especially at normal hunting distances.

Wish you the best.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you are on the subject, I am looking for a bow (or probably two) around Christmas. Who makes the "store brand" bows for Bass Pro? Just curious more than anything. I am looking for something reasonably priced but good quality.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yes, I purchased the bow. It came with 6 Eaton graphite arrows which the store cut to length. Maximum on the bow is 50# and it was eased off to 45# for me.

I'll get the camera out in a bit and post a pic.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that there is a pic attached I can easily see that this is nowhere near a Mathews. The limbs and draw length adjustment on the cam are pure "Bear".

Again, this is not what's important. What is is that you like it and it fits your needs.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep that was my first thought. Looks nothing like a mathews. More like a bear element to me.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the new bow. if it keeps you shooting then it is a great bow for you .
Old 11-29-2007, 06:40 PM

That's a good lookin rig bud. Glad you like it.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still gotta get a deer to walk in front of it though. That's the more difficult part of the equation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.