Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is ther any evidence AR's work??

Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is ther any evidence AR's work??

I would love to see AR's here in MA butdo you PA guys know if it has worked. I don't mean just a gut feeling, but does the Game Dept or harvest records support the theory??
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is ther any evidence AR's work??

I read an article in what I believe was Deer and Deer Hunting a while ago. The author described how the AR's have historically not worked. He used examples all the way back to the mid 1900's with Mule deer and onto present day examples.

I personally shoot a deer based on age, not the amount of points on his rack. It would be a shame IMO to let a stud 3.5 yr. old 6 or 7 pointer walk by because he was not a legal buck. Also, harvesting a doe for every buck to me is nearly as important as passing on younger bucks. I do remember my dad starting me out when I was a young kid and I was so excited to shoot those first few small bucks. I would hate to see a young hunter deprived of that thrill by seeing a young buck walking by and not being able to take the shot. I hunted hard for my first buck and it took me until my 4th season at the age of 14 to harvest that first 3 pointer. My dad never tried to force me to pass on smaller bucks as he did, but overtime I have turned my focus to trying to harvest wallhangers. I don't kill a buck every year, but I still put meat in the freezer with a few does each season.

I am interested in hearing some opinions too. Illinois does not have AR's, but I have heard grumbles from hunters about needing some.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Maybe to a point they're guaranteed to work. It'll allow a lot of 4 pointers to become 2 1/2 years old. What it does do that's wrong... is allows genetically inferior deer to survive and breed passing on their genes. But, I don't worry about such things as we don't have them here.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:39 PM

sence u have a picture on ur profile thing i was wonder if u could tell me how to do it
Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was speaking to my uncle and he said they just put an AR in effect a couple years ago. He hunts in NY and so far the jury is out.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love them. They don't make big bucks grow on trees, but they do help, and make a bunch of 2.5 year olds that hopefully are a littlemore capable of getting thru to an older age.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I, withoutquestion, see more bigger bucks in my area of Pa, since they started antler restrictions. So, I believe it works.This doesn't help our out of whack doe to buck ratio though. I think they should start "earn a buck" in my area (5-D).
Old 11-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

I am seeing a lot more larger bucks than what i used to.For example, last year me, my dad, and SamPahunter were hunting together and we all tagged out out 8 points or better by 9:30 on the first morning (they were all 3.5 yr. old+).
Old 11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Maybe to a point they're guaranteed to work. It'll allow a lot of 4 pointers to become 2 1/2 years old. What it does do that's wrong... is allows genetically inferior deer to survive and breed passing on their genes. But, I don't worry about such things as we don't have them here.
I always love this view by some. LOL All of sudden their worried about Gentics in the herd

btw Planter do you have that article? I would like to read it
Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: crazedbowhunter

I am seeing a lot more larger bucks than what i used to.For example, last year me, my dad, and SamPahunter were hunting together and we all tagged out out 8 points or better by 9:30 on the first morning (they were all 3.5 yr. old+).
And that would make for a great picture....

Quick Reply: Is ther any evidence AR's work??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.