Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is ther any evidence AR's work??

Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is ther any evidence AR's work??

you guys are right, PA numbers are a GUESS.

how on earth do they GUESS what nearly 1 million hunters killed is beyond me. yes, we are supposed to send in report cards for deer...but not everyone does(forget the numbers but it was amazing how many guys dont take a half a minute to fill them out and send them out FREE of charge!...more people DONT than DO)

PA numbers will be WAY down this year. why?? opening day of rifle season was cold, rainy and foggy through most the state....realistically they will be down...but that alone, no matter how bloody the saturdays are, the pgc will say numbers are way down...watch and see...

how the GUESS is beyond me...most of the people i know butcher their own deer, so you cant go by butcher counts. ive never seen a WCO in the field while deer hunting in 10 years..cant go by that..cant go by report cards, hardly anyone sends them in...id really like to know how they guess....i always find that funny...sure report cards and butcher numbers might add up to SOME...but not nearly correct...
Old 11-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Default RE: Is ther any evidence AR's work??

ORIGINAL: nodog

Maybe. Should be. Maybe not.

Just look at the total for 2001 (rounded) 504,000 and the 2005, 354,000. 83,000 less bucks. 67,000 less antlerless. Just mind blowing to me. Any way you slice it that is one heck of a big reduction in just 4 years. The whole state of Ohio is generally around 210,000. Been getting higher every year and I expect this year to be a new record around 250,000, but still... Pa should be the poster state for anti hunters if it wasn't for the fact that the most hated, trophy hunters, weren't so happy.

I can see my origanal posted calculations were off for total harvested animals. Just go with Germs. Look them over. Antlerless numbers rose the first year but look at the decline. After 2002 down 30,000, down 38,000 more,down 50,000 more. That's 10's of thousands. Not my idea of a deer hunters paradise.

Maybe I am wrong and you guys are reducing your herd by that much. If you have, your not going to see an increase in bucks at all. They wont be born. I have hunted and seen no deer. It aint pleasant.

I think your just loosing hunters. Only state I've ever heard where residents don't want to hunt their own. That just aint right. Any idea on those numbers Germ?

For the record I am very happy for you guys that have taken nice deer. Congrats! Hope you get a bigger one next time.

I'm not sure what you mean by PA should be the poster child state for anti hunters. Hunting is alive and well over here. Can you help a guy out here with that reasoning? lol

Like I said before. The AR's were not put in place as a herd reduction tool. Herd reduction and AR's are two seperate issues.

The two week concurrent buck/doe season is the tool the game commission is usingto reduce overall deer numbers. That is why we are seeing overall kill numbers that are significantly lower than in the past.

Speaking of kill numbers... FWIW, I don't have any clue whether or not the overall kill stats are worth a hoot. Actually, I suspect they aren't and have felt that way for many years.

All I know is that by default, the combined two week season versus the old way where doe season was seperate and of a very short in duration has had a significant impact on the deer herd here in Pennyslyvania. In some places, guys are screaming about NO deer. Other places, not so much.