Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Protect your eyes guys..........

Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Protect your eyes guys..........

Just a small reminder to you guys. Please protect those eyes when doing projects, etc around the house. You can't bowhunt without them .

I had a small wake up call today.......yesterday my left eye (thank god not my shooting eye) started getting sore. The only thing I could think of that may have caused this was some sawdust that got in it while working on my cabin last weekend. I never go to the doctor, but it was bothering me enough that I decided it was worth it.........turns out I have some pretty serious corneal abrasions on my eyeball because I was too stupid/lazy to wear some safety glasses last week. I should be healed up in the next 10 days, but for now I can't see out of the eye too well and it is quite sore. I should still be able to hunt this upcoming weekend because it's not my shooting eye, but will definitely be thinking twice and wearing safety glasses from now on. I can't imagine not being able to pursue this sport anymore because I neglected to protect my eyes, it's so easy to injure them.

Just some food for thought, hopefully this makes one or two of you guys think twice and maybe it will prevent an injury or two.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Protect your eyes guys..........

Good reminder bud, and you're 100% right. It's often the small things that we do every day and take for granted that get us into the most trouble.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice and hope you are back to 100% real soon.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point Matt!!!! Glad you will be ok!!!. We only get one set and they can not replace them. In my line of work safety glasses are a must.ALSO - Yard work,Shooting (guns),Home repairs.ANYTIME!!!!! My best friend almost lost his eye cutting a steel band. He lost 50% of his sight from his shooting eye and would give anything to get it back. He has turned himself into a lefty but that was very hard.BECAREFUL PEOPLE!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tell me about it.........

Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got a nasty corneal abrasion 4 years ago while wrestling...man it hurt like hell! I had to stop my truck half way home and have my brother in law pick me up to go to the hospital....both of my eyes seized up and I was pretty much blind. Heck yeah I wear my safety goggles now when I work on anything.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was ten min away from being fired from my job, last summer. I worked construction (carpentry) and the big boss man always got on my butt for never wearing my safety glasses, that "opened my eyes", and your story does even more. Get well soon.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I got a thorn in my eye two years ago while rabbit hunting. It stuck in my eye and pinned my contact to my eye. Luckly it was not deep enough to cause the fluid to come out and the eye to lose pressure. That was a nice trip the to ER to have it taken out. Its amazing how when you go to the ER with a thorn in your eye you dont have to wait to be seen.