Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's talk late season.........

Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let's talk late season.........

The acorns are still falling here in Eastern NC and the oak tree are hot spots. Movement to the oaks is a little closer to dark so you have to set up on the bedding/approach side of the trees which reduces options for wind/tree selection. The oaks are the place to be right now, right here.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Well it's quickly approaching. I have 2 doe tags left in PA right now and am pretty sure I know how to fill those, but I also have a buck tag and either sex tag in NY that I would like to start focusing on. In NY I have weekends from this upcoming weekend, until 12/16 and can squeeze one more 3 day weekend in there as well, most likely the weekend of 12/7.

I know obviously food sources in the evenings, however I have seen VERY little movement in those areas during late season by bucks in the last few years, Dan's place gets a bit more pressure than mine and they have usually smartened up a bit.

So what do you guys think?
Hunt the thick nasty cover, and food! The only thing that is going to be on their minds (The Deer). Safety/Security & Food/Water. This time of year/Late Season...Acorns & harvested field edges with thick cover very nearby. Hope this helps...Good luck to you.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

What if all the crops are picked, all the acorns are already gone, and pretty much all you are left with is random browse and a multitude of bedding places?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

What if all the crops are picked, all the acorns are already gone, and pretty much all you are left with is random browse and a multitude of bedding places?
same scenario here Rybo

Old 11-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would imagine that despite the fact that the browse seems to be "random", the deer would always have one or two "preferred" choices, no? The same for bedding areas. While they may like to bed in a variety of locations, there has to be some that are better and thus more preferred than others. And if those would stand to be true, I think you're going to find what your'e looking for.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: shed33

same scenario here Rybo
Well since the farmer loves me, I have 25 acre wheat field, I can tell you, I it surrounded with stands for every wind

I have never shot a buckpast Nov 14, I have come very close twice
Old 11-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm sure we have some acorns still on the ground, here. But to identify them as THE food source, right now.....I couldn't do that. I admit I have NO IDEA what the deer I'm hunting are utilizing for their MAIN food source, right now. It's a shortcoming I wish I didn't have to admit to.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm sure we have some acorns still on the ground, here. But to identify them as THE food source, right now.....I couldn't do that. I admit I have NO IDEA what the deer I'm hunting are utilizing for their MAIN food source, right now. It's a shortcoming I wish I didn't have to admit to.
When you put in the food plot we have discussed for next season, you will know where they will be............that's for sure. I'd feel pretty confident in my ability to tag a buck at my place in PA right now..........I just don't have a tag there. The last night I was in PA I counted 5 deer on the plot in front of my camp including one stud of a buck, and 7 more deer in the plot across the road from there.

Dan's place in NY does have lots of plots, but no brassica or other cold weather plots that were large enough to produce forage this late unfortunately. This is where I am looking for ideas, their clover plots seem to be getting a little browse after dark but other than that the movement during daylight is limited at best. Dan's place also gets a LOT more gun pressure than my place (my place has only been gun hunted 2x in the last 3 years), so the deer there are educated well by now.

The drive seems like a great idea but honestly I'd rather eat tags than push the sanctuaries we have worked so hard to create.

I'd love to hear what GregH, or Troy, or Buckeye has to say........hopefully one of they will pop in and share some words of wisdom.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: shed33

same scenario here Rybo
Although all of the crops are picked, beans and corn fields will hold deer through the end of Jan. They eat the stalks and missed/spilled grain as well. Plus it seems that they like these open fields to socialize as well.

Quick Reply: Let's talk late season.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.