Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tip for catching a monster

Old 11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tip for catching a monster

Just a little update. I am always afraid to move stand locations for fear of "the one" standing under the old stand while I'm in the new stand. Since I had been seeing no bucks in my reg. set, I figured what the heck. I moved about 60 yds north over a knoll(actually the top of a pretty good size draw) mainly to get a better view of what was going on where I couldn't see. It just happened to be further from the food source I had been hunting but still in between bedding and food. Didn't start out so good, ma and pa kettle and their daughter and 2 dogs pushed 10 doe past me at 3. About 4 3 doe filtered out about 65yds from me feeding. At 4:30 here comes a little 8 with a limp AND the monster 8 I missed 2 weeks ago. Halelulah! He's still here. He comes in checks the does, I grunt, I turn the can, and finally snort wheeze, and he just walks back up the hill he came down. I was so glad to see him it was almost as if I actually got him. Again though, I've only seen himin the afternoon just like Greg has mentioned.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

well greg, sounds like your idea that calls are seemingly fruitless with the big boys right now showed up in loogout1's last post and experience. I have seen deer act like this as well late in the year, i guess they have heard enough of that throughout the season, but you just never know one deer's attitude to the next it seems.

saw a couple tonight, but it seems a little dead out with the full moon, they feeding late???
Old 11-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

I felt helpless. I just needed him to come in like 30-40 yards but was running out of light. I honestly forgot what Greg had said about the calling, but probably would have tried anyway regardless. I'll now just be hunting the evenings there and will have to fine tune stand locations, hopefully I'll cross paths with him again. This is the third year I've been watching him and he's ready for the wall, but he's always disappeared at one point or another in the past.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Site Buck Guru

!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Site Buck Guru

!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:34 PM

Excellent thread Greg . . packed with great info,thanx!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice Greg. I moved as little as possible yest. Just enough so I could get a look at this "area" I couldn't see from my reg stand, kind of like a hunting/scouting move. Theresa plateau and then another hill. The does came from thenw skirting the bottom of the hill and thru some cattails. The big guy came from the nne across the hill(almost opposite direction) checked them all and then headed n up the hill. He was 70 yds and never turned to come my way. When I realized he wan't keying on any of the does, I tried calling. I think next time I'm going to try and set up at the bottom of the hill in a cluster of evergreens that are right on the draw the does came in on and right where he exited up the hill.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I eat tips like these like candy, they are good!!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 AM

This is a great stratagie and after a hard hunt and a unsuccesful one in Kansas that is what Im going to do. I'm going back the day after xmas and try again.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going observation style with a chance to get lucky tomorrow. After I observe I am going to reposition between two thick areas and a food source and then work the wind...I am gonna try it! Bucks are starting to slow down here and I need a new strategy. Supposed to rain tomorrow so that will be advantageous with my entrance/exit.

Quick Reply: Tip for catching a monster

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.