Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow for defense

Old 11-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bow for defense

Gattlin bow....that right there is funny.
Fight or Flight.A cell phone wont get you life in prision......One thing to remember is if you shoot I hope the other dies in your home and has a deadly weapon in hand.I too have several guns and handguns and I have young children I also have a FLIGHT plan for my family if need be but Iam also ready to defend my family if need be.
What if that person you just shot was drunk or had medical problems and you over reacted,nobody likes going to court...Also alot of people will say,"if any one breaks into my home i'll shoot them"but really are you ready to take a human life,have you soul searched this out,because when it come down to it alot of people arnt ready to take that route(a human life)......
Ive been CCW for just about 11 yrs and I have just cause(my ex's otherhalf told me in front of the cops he would kill me,this after holding my wife(to be)at gunpoint for just about 7 hours).I live with this everyday,alway woundering if he is around.We do know where he lives now but he moves around alot.We live in a code yellow and if I have too Iam ready for red.......
I dont know if any of you have had to watch while your wife (to be)was being held in a house at gun point but let me tell you its not a good place to be.The law inforcement did a good job.My wife to be didnt press charges,(felt is was a tad bit safer not too).
As for a Bow as a self defence weapon ?.Only you would know if you came out on top.As for me I will stick with my Handgun.Its allways there.
Sorry for going off alittle but a topic like this gets to me.........
Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

thats y u dont leave ur self defense guns downstairs or away from ur bedroom. But if they're not in commission than wat i say is RUN!!!!!!!lol jkin
i guess u could use a bow 4 self defense as long as its a Matthews. lol
Old 11-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let me get this straight. Some goblin is in your house. You've just woken up from a dream where you were on a deserted island with Shania Twain and don't quite know just yet where you are. Finally realization sets in, so you drag your bow case out of the closet, crack it open and pull your bow out. Then you strap on the release, pull out an arrow and get it on the string and try to hook up. And then, even if you're still alive at this point, you're going to try and put a pin on a moving target in the dark and centerpunch the brain. And all that supposedly being done with your hands shaking and knees wobbling, heart pounding in your throat....

Miracles do happen, but I wouldn't bet a wooden nickle on your chances. Have a nice afterlife.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea Art,

theyd have much better luck with traditional tackle in this situation.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

yea Art,

theyd have much better luck with traditional tackle in this situation.
I guess some chance is better than no chance at all, but I wouldn't go getting my hopes too high even with that.[&:] If I ever need to defend my home and family, I'll try my luck with the sha-shuck and 4-aught buckshot.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

didnt Rambo use a Compound?

or how bout Mr. Reynolds and his 30# recurve in Deliverance.
(it always cracked me up watching whats his name usethe ground(rock), compress the limb,andstring his bow)

it worked for them...

hell these guys on this site are way better than Burt Reynolds...i dont know if they are better than Rambo tho.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

..be carefull what you do...if you do decide to take action shoot to kill(if youhave six shots use them all....if you have 9-15 use most of them.)

That's what my buddy told me (acop that lives one house down from me) said........"just make sure you finish the job"