Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Hunting = lesser quality deer ?

Here in WI the deer populations continue to grow and I kwo this is hard to beleive but we actually have a deer problem in many areas including some of which I hunt and even though I don't care for gun hunting at all it is a must because the deer need to be killed and if rifles were not allowed in some areas the deer harvest would never be where it needs to be. The ideas of rifles to me isn't a hunting thing its more of a management deal on hte DNRs part and is a must. Some zones in WI are still no rifles allowed zones but alot of those zones have opened it to rifle in the last 5 years. WCL
Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

I am mainly just a bowhunter...that is my choice.

In MN we have ALOT of rifle hunters (over 600,000 compared to 70,000 bow hunters) and they still are not harvesting as many deer as the state DNR would like to seeover thepast few years.

How would MN be able to manage it's deer herd if rifle hunting were abolished? How many people in MN would quit deer hunting if they no longer could hunt with a rifle?

I think every state needs to do what is necessary to be able to manage it's deer numbers.

So even though I haven't rifle hunted in years...it would be very wrong and selfish of me to think that other hunters should not be able to continue enjoying rifle hunting.

BTW...I would saythe majority ofdeer that are shot in MN with rifles are probably taken at well under 100 yards. Ihave neverneeded to take a rifle shotover 60 yards in the 15 years that i rifle hunted.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Since you are looking for opinions....I will give you mine. I personally don't agree with rifle hunting.I think of it more as management then hunting.Even though I don't agree with it, they shouldn't get rid of it. For some people...disabled/older, that is the only way to get it done. I huntover a corn pile andI know some don't agree with that, some bowhunters think that the ONLY way to hunt is by bow....etc. As long as it is legal, have at it, that doesn't mean that everyone will agree though.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

So, I am infavor of more traditional hunting methods and I feel that it also increases the quality of hunting because more deer get to "walk" during the previous seasons.

Whats your take ?
If you are talking traditional being shotgun and stuff I wouldnt consider that traditional. A gun is a gun even though some may not shoot as far as others. and there is many shotguns capable of shooting 200 yards these days with dead nutz acuracy......... Also the quality of hunting would not be better. It would actually be worse eventually because the buck to doe ratios would get all out of wack, deer herds would eat themselve out of house and home, bucks would not get to their largest potential rack size due to over breeding from doe to buck ratios, ect........ Even though rifles aren't looked at as too sporty by me or alot of people and I could care less if I ever gun hunted again I know its what the deer herds need to be controled and that why I still go out and harvest a few deer every year with the rifle and shotgun. WCL
Old 11-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

But, thats getting away from the point. I think that long range capabilities will help keep the herd numbers in check, but also feel that more and more smaller bucks that should be left to grow will be taken just for something to shoot at.
I'm not understanding. I use bow, ml'er, and rifle. Just because I use a rifle doesn't mean I'm automatically shooting 500yds! Even with a rifle my shots are within 100yds or LESS.

What in the world does rifle hunting have to do with killing small bucks? I see plenty of small bucks taken by bow, black powder, shotgun, AND rifle.
The weapon won't change the PERSON'S ethics, standards, etc.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

always trying to get the long post, huh DropTine?? Either that or you think you have the right to judge the way others hunt ..... oh, and by the way ..... I never hunted with a rifle, but I'll die for the right of rifle hunters to hunt with their rifles ...

I
Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

But, thats getting away from the point. I think that long range capabilities will help keep the herd numbers in check, but also feel that more and more smaller bucks that should be left to grow will be taken just for something to shoot at.
I don't know about your state but in WI we are producing more and more P&Y and B&C bucks evrey year. Must be because we are shooting all the little ones at a few hundred yards huh?................ Maybe your state needs some QDM education then it don't matter what people hunt with the bucks are gonna get bigger, right? WCL
Old 11-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most people shoot deer for trophy or for feeding their families. If they want to shoot little bucks to feed their family all the power to em. Most and I mean most people don't just shoot at deer for the sake of shooting at something and kill them for no reason. WCL
Old 11-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

Most people shoot deer for trophy or for feeding their families. If they want to shoot little bucks to feed their family all the power to em. Most and I mean most people don't just shoot at deer for the sake of shooting at something and kill them for no reason. WCL
I know plenty that do, they don't hunt along side me though!!

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.