Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Double Bull and ASAT blinds. How they handle the wind?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Double Bull and ASAT blinds. How they handle the wind?

I'm doing my homework on a new blind. I haveread good reviews on both the Double Bull "Matrix" and the ASAT "Quickie" blinds. My main question how do the two compare as far as how they handle the wind? Where I hunt the wind blows hard and frequently, so that is of a major importance.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Default RE: Double Bull and ASAT blinds. How they handle the wind?

I've owned and used both. If you stake them down, they both perform quite well. They do have their limits though...
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Love my double bull, handles really good in the wind
Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I understand where Matt/ PA , Greg / MO, GMMAT, Kidd and myself will be Pronghorn hunting in 09 in WY, the outfitter hates DB blinds, he says the wind destroys them. Matt / PA can elaborate, he told me that and I was suprised.

Not sure about the ASAT blinds, I know that outfitter has a preference for what he places out to withstand the winds. buckeye is an ASAT blind dealer, hit him up and he'd be my go to guy for that blind.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Well.....The "other" blind (I own a DB, but have no stake in the Co.) just happens to have the exact same hub system. Material is amazingly similar, too.

I wonder if they're supposed to perform differently

I was talking to Rob, today.....and I honestly don't think I'll ever wear my DB out.....using it 30 times a year. I just need to quit shooting through it.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

the most important thing is to not only stake down the bottom of teh blind with some good heavy tent stakes, but also attack strings to the eyelets on the side wall hubs and tie them out as wel. Where we hunt in the panhandle of Texas, the wind always blows and we have no problems when we do this.

PS: Get the DB Matrix, you'll love it.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I understand where Matt/ PA , Greg / MO, GMMAT, Kidd and myself will be Pronghorn hunting in 09 in WY, the outfitter hates DB blinds, he says the wind destroys them. Matt / PA can elaborate, he told me that and I was suprised.

Not sure about the ASAT blinds, I know that outfitter has a preference for what he places out to withstand the winds. buckeye is an ASAT blind dealer, hit him up and he'd be my go to guy for that blind.
That is a new one on me. Everyone else praises the way double bulls hold up in the wind. I know I have been out in some high winds and never had a problem in mine.

rick
Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yip, no doubt that if you don't tie the side strings to something, and the wind does really blow, the sides will simply collapse. BUT as was said, if you stake it down and tie all 4 sides, it would take one heck of a wind to destroy the DB's.

Probably why the antelope outfitter hates them, because there's nothing to tie the strings to out in the middle of no where. And even though you can stake it down and it won't go any where, the sides will collapse.