Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

carrying your bow while hunting

Old 11-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Spike

Default carrying your bow while hunting

hello, taking my first bow hunting trip this weekend. Any tips on extra things to bring to help out? How to you guys carry your bows while walking aroun the to your stands etc. I was thinking a bow sling? or just carry it? thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carrying your bow while hunting

I just carry it and sometimes have an arrow cocked just in case i walk up on a deer.

Mat
Old 11-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just carry my recurvehow ever i feel like carrying it. Over the shoulder, down by my waist, alot of different ways. If your going to nock an arrow on the way in, be darn carefull you don't trip and stab yourself, it does happen!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always make sure my arrow is facing down cause i want to kill a DEER not ME!

Mat
Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I use a bow sling and really like it. I use it mostly when I go hunting on long walks to get where I want to hunt. In badland areas it is the only way to go. It frees you up to glass and climb. On short walk ins I just carry it and set up.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always have my arrow in the bow and ready to go. If it is ready to go then I have it in the primos sling
Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Primos Bow Sling.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I carry my bow in my hand, but then my longbow only weighs 18 ounces and my recurve isn't much heavier. A fully loaded compound will have you wishing you'd brought a dolly with you if you have to carry it very far. Arrows ride in hip quiver and everything else... If it doesn't fit into a pocket or medium size fanny pack, I don't need it in the woods.

No matter what some others might say, NEVER walk around in the woods carrying a bow with an arrow nocked on the string. You can step in a hole or trip over a vine, get the bow snagged on some brush and have it jerked out of your hand... You can lose control of the bow any number of ways and wind up driving that razor sharp broadhead through some portion of your anatomy. Kinda ruins a hunt if you bleed to death in the middle of it. The only time I move with an arrow on the string is when I'm in the very final stage of a stalk, like within the last 10 yards and getting ready for the shot.

I think some folks around here need to take a bowhunters education class or at least brush up on the safety rules. [&:]