Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Pope and Young Deer

Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 PM

Default First Pope and Young Deer

I've been an avid bowhunter for about 6 years now. I manage to take at least 3 or 4 deer every year with my bow, but I have never managed to get any buck worth mentioning. Last weekend I found myself in about the most intense rutting activity that I have ever experienced. I have my stand positioned in an oak funnel that connects two bedding areas, one being a cutover and the other a stand of thick pines. I got to my stand around 1 pm and began seeing deer almost immediately. Does funneled through the oaks feeding on acorns starting around 1:30pm. I continued seeing deer until around 3:30 pm when a I noticed a doe continually looking over her shoulder. I was waiting for a buck to show his face, and finally I could hear him coming. However, I was very disappointed when I saw the buck that emerged from the pines. The deer would have been a main-frame 12 pointer, but the deer had one side of his antlers broken off just past the brow tine. The buck passed within 30 yards of my stand, but I let him go hoping to see him next year. I didnt see another deer until 5:15 pm (which left only about 10 minutes of shooting light left). I doe come from behind my stand and walked directly under my tree. Her tail swiped my tree as she passed (Thank you Scent-lok). The doe walked out in front of my stand about 25 yards and stopped. She began looking back as the other doe did. In a couple of minutes, I heard the sound of a another deer walking. I looked back an saw a beautiful 10 pointer coming directly from where the doe came from out of the cutover. The buck walked directly under my stand with his nose on the ground. While the deer stood directly beneath my stand, I drew back my bow and waited for him to walk out to the doe. As the buck filtered his way to the doe, he provided me a perfect quartering away shot at about 15 yards. I let my arrow fly and watched it enter his back and blow through his front to legs. The deer fell within 20 yards of where I hit him (Thank you Rage 2-blades). I couldnt get down from my stand fast enough to go get my hands on him. After all was said and done, I had a beautiful south-central Virginia buck that net scored 131 1/8.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Default RE: First Pope and Young Deer

I couldnt get the file upload feature to upload the picture to my post. I am new to the site. Can someone please tell me if there is some trick to it?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atta Boy! Congrats! Now we demand pics!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hit post reply not fast reply!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and Welcome to the site. You will like it here.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here ya go! Again congrats on a great bow kill.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the fine deer.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations and welcome to the board!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

congrats buddy, sounds like you will be ready to get number 2 next year when that 12 comes strolling by!!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer! And welcome to the site!

Mat

Quick Reply: First Pope and Young Deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.