Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where is the IL rut right now???

Old 11-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Where is the IL rut right now???

I have been mixed up all season trying to keep track of where the rut is based on my sightings/observations and those of others. I would hunt one property and seemingly be in one stage of the rut, and leave that property hoping to utilize similar success strategies and would observe a different stage of the rut(seeking vs. chasing). Has this been a wierd rut for anyone else here in IL??? What stage are we in now(lockdown and breeding)??
Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where is the IL rut right now???

Based on my sightings, is the rut was about 2 weeks ago. All shotgun hunters from last weekend thatI talked to reported nearly no chasing. All the bucks I saw that were with does had been jumped up by other hunters.

To me I would say they are locked down on the does in my area at least. Never been a big believer of the "second rut" just because I have never seen any chasing that happened late in the year. I have seen bucks being locked down as late as December 14th, but never seenany actual chasing or seeking after the initial first phases of the rut.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe we are in a lockdown phase although you should still find some bucks cruising downwind of bedding areas, especially around noon from my experience.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

yea i agree, lockdown is my guess, usually every year when you notice it is just dead in the woods, the lockdown is upon us. I saw a pile of deer over the weekend of gun season just nothing big!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

how does one go about bagging one of these lockdown monsters, just get lucky to be in the right place at the right time, or sit all day to catch them between does??? i bagged a 160"11 on the 14ththat came into rattling, but am looking for another bigger buck that is on thesame farm, what ya'll think my approach should be??
Old 11-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Here is the buck i shot on the 14th. i am looking for a huge ten that I would guess would be in the boone class. how do i find em?? i know my odds are low since the peak rut has passed, but what is my best approach, any suggestions??
Old 11-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

As of Sunday, our Brown County farm was still in in lockdown and had been so all week. If you're confident that you'rein the big boys core area, stay put and grind it out. All it takes is the right doe to lead him by!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

During the lockdown phase it's tough. You have to sit long and see nothing. I like to hunt real good funnels that bucks need to cruise to get from point A to point B. Fencerows, low saddles, ridgelines etc. anything a cruising buck will want to cruise through that would connect doe bedding areas is the place to be. Especially ones they want to pass between during shooting light!

When a buck is done with his doe.. he'll start to look for those last few again.

Hope this helps.. good luck. Nice buck too.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

here in indiana southwest i is fullon i saw 11 deer to day in a pack and atleas three small buckshad there nose to the ground running behind the does
Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Spike

i have no ideal what he just said ^^^^^^^^heh

Anyways its hard to say. Just about 4 days ago i saw a nice buck chasing a doe in Huntley which brings me to believe theres still a chase.God i hope so...Im hunting Marengo where abouts are you guys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.