Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where is the IL rut right now???

Old 11-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where is the IL rut right now???

bhunter - I've consistently saw the largest bucks every year during the rut cruising field edges down wind of bedding areas and woods.

In my opinion, you'll want to be completely scent free and hunt upwind of wide open travel routes.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM

I would completely agree with you. It has been so area sensitive this year. I have had nearly the same experince as you. I one area I hunt about 20 miles north... look down. Right next to my house all the does are still with there fawns and in groups of five to ten. I am soo confused about this years rut..
Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

good to hear i am not the only one experiencing a wierd rut.

ORIGINAL: Tbyrnzy82

I would completely agree with you. It has been so area sensitive this year. I have had nearly the same experince as you. I one area I hunt about 20 miles north... look down. Right next to my house all the does are still with there fawns and in groups of five to ten. I am soo confused about this years rut..
Old 11-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Spike

We all have our opinions and yes it is agreed upon across the board that it is a weird rut. I have been guiding and hunting in Illinois and Ohio since Oct 1. I personally think the rut is just getting going. Over the past 10 days (E Central IL) have bucks been chasing and really dogging does. The past week is the first time I have saw 4-5 bucks on one doe. It is as if only 1-2 does are in heat. I will have groups of 3-6 does come by and am thinking ok, where is the buck, and nothing. Not only that but almost every doe I seen so far is pure white all down the inside of their legs. Maybe a few does came in heat early and are locked down with a few bucks but in my observations, it appears that the rut is just beginning. We did not see very many big bucks until the past 10 days or so and many bucks were spotted. We had a 175", a 171", a 140", and a 137" killed in the past 10 days or so. We always see bucks taking does out in the middle of a open field to get her away and just in the past week have I seen that happen. Just a lot of things that point to the rut just getting started. Look for some hard core rutting this week and hopefully we will have some happy hunters. Hopefully it wont be a trickle rut where the doescome in heat over a long period of time and there isnt a real hard rutting action over a week or so. Just hang in there! Good luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

THWACK, thanks for the info., there is a cold front on the way in for tomorrow evening and thurs and friday, hopefully i will be in the tree after a big one!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 PM

Yes, it has been a wierd rut. I saw some big boys chasing two weeks ago, but I'm gonna CHOOSE to believe THWACK...... just because it gives me more confidence to stay out there.
I'm in E. central IL also, Douglas County
Old 11-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

No doubt, i feel the same way, anything to keep me motivated to hunt, i will buy it, but he may be right anyways!! im hunting west central, IL in fulton county.

ORIGINAL: 442deer

Yes, it has been a wierd rut. I saw some big boys chasing two weeks ago, but I'm gonna CHOOSE to believe THWACK...... just because it gives me more confidence to stay out there.
I'm in E. central IL also, Douglas County
Old 11-20-2007, 07:06 PM

Ya it has been a real wierd rut that i have noticed. But then agian i havent been hunting maybe 8 or 9 times in IL this year. But i was down in Franklin County in Missouri this past weekend rifle hunting. Didnt see to much movement by the bucks at all. Saw a few does but nothing worth givin my position away. But im headin back home 2morrow and hoping this cold front helps this situation. Im huntin in Macon county 15 mins outside of Decatur.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 PM

Lockdown from what I have seen. I did see a real nice buck, about 150" in the middle of a picked bean field with a doe, but you could tell, that was his doe!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My year has been wierd as well.... all day sits on Nov.3, 7, 10 in areas I always see bucks cruising, chasing without a single buck sighting, but plenty of does. Also shotgun hunted this last weekend,Nov.16, 17, 18and only seen one small buck following a doe. I know it's been happening....just not around this hunter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.