Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed hunting vs. game cams

Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shed hunting vs. game cams

1. Shed hunting is a great time for scouting old and new land.

2.It has opened many doors for us bygaining permission and getting to know a land owner much easierthen just asking for hunting permission.

3.I know what bucks made it and don't need to wait till mid July to see what big bucks made it with agame cam. I've got a jump start on my summerscouting.

4.I don't need to bait an area to find sheds to gain insight on what bucks made it.

5.I am not a fan of baiting and could care less what is is feeding at a bait pile during night hours when the majority of pictures are taken by a game cam.

6.I don't want to disturb an area or draw bucks off there natural travels by baiting for a game cam or scentingan areaup.

7. I long range scout with a camera/video cameraduring the summer during daylight. hours. A trail cam doesn't cover an area like I can during daylight hours.

8. Never have to complain on the forum thatsomeone stole my trail cam since I don't have one.

9. Shed hunting is great exercise.

10. Last but not least... Shed hunting is a great time for teaching your kids all the great wonders of Nature. Quality time. A game cam can't do that. That one reason alone makes shed hunting much more important to me then any other reason.

No doubt game cams have their benefits depending on how you use them, but for me... I would rather wear a good pair of boots out. Each their own .

Tim
Old 11-20-2007, 03:55 AM
Dominant Buck

So how do you feel about baiting, TJF?[&:]
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just do it for fun and finding antlers lol
Old 11-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say game cams... IMO
Old 11-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't want to hijack this thread, and Jeff if you'd prefer that I start a new post I will, but reading the responses has lead me to a question. That is how long those have been bowhunting, along with preferred method of game cam vs. shed hunting?

For example, I use game cams to monitor trail activity in season and to see what is out there out of season. However, I believe that they are no substitute for boots in the woods and shed hunting provides valuable information that a game cam never could. Many times my game cams will monitor areas I've found while shed hunting. This is my 18th year bowhunting.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I don't want to hijack this thread, and Jeff if you'd prefer that I start a new post I will, but reading the responses has lead me to a question. That is how long those have been bowhunting, along with preferred method of game cam vs. shed hunting?

For example, I use game cams to monitor trail activity in season and to see what is out there out of season. However, I believe that they are no substitute for boots in the woods and shed hunting provides valuable information that a game cam never could. Many times my game cams will monitor areas I've found while shed hunting. This is my 18th year bowhunting.
I've been bowhunting for 21 years now, been around it all my life, 33 years!Alot of truth to what you say! The only thing I gotta say about trail cams are is that they are an extra set of eye's in the woods! Here in Minnesota alot of times the deer in our home areas don't stay there for the winter. Depends on snow depth and all, alot of times they will travel a good ways and winter where there is ample food supply and stay there the majority of the winter monthsand then come back to there home area around late March early April and most bucks have lost there antlers already by then.I think it really depends on more where you live and how severe your winters are.For example10 years ago or so we had about 40 acres of sorgum and cornplanted and the snow was deep that winter, i found 3 times the sheds that year in that sorgum field then i've found in any given year, we had about 200 deer grouped up in our woods that year due to the 3 feet of snow and the ample food source we had.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

I'd rather pick up an antler, than have a picture of 1...

I find about 20 a year... the info I gain while scouting shedding carries me into the next season.

A lot of good replies to this thread...
Old 11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DUMB BASS

A lot of good replies to this thread...
I agree!! Alot of good points were made that a person just don't think of.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

I just like finding sheds. They are not beneficial to me except looking good on a shelf.
x2

also, I like searching out new possible travel routes and stand locations while looking for sheds. My little sis (8) also likes to tag along. It's fun.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I've been bowhunting for 21 years now, been around it all my life, 33 years!Alot of truth to what you say! The only thing I gotta say about trail cams are is that they are an extra set of eye's in the woods! Here in Minnesota alot of times the deer in our home areas don't stay there for the winter. Depends on snow depth and all, alot of times they will travel a good ways and winter where there is ample food supply and stay there the majority of the winter monthsand then come back to there home area around late March early April and most bucks have lost there antlers already by then.I think it really depends on more where you live and how severe your winters are.For example10 years ago or so we had about 40 acres of sorgum and cornplanted and the snow was deep that winter, i found 3 times the sheds that year in that sorgum field then i've found in any given year, we had about 200 deer grouped up in our woods that year due to the 3 feet of snow and the ample food source we had.
Schultzy, this couldn't be more true.

Quick Reply: Shed hunting vs. game cams

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.