Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you rather????

Old 11-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Would you rather????

I wouldnt care either way. But if I had to pick then I would say travel.(if you can afford it)
Old 11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

LOL diesel.....I still wanna go!

I'm trying to learn something here. If you go out of state to hunt.....do you do all of your own scouting? ALL OF IT?

I'm thinking (and I could be WAYYYYyyy off) that this is the case about 5% of the time.
Okay, you can still go

There would be no way I could do all of my own scouting hunting out of state especially when applying for tags, you dont know exactly what state you get a tag, or what zone etc. The only scouting I would do before hand would be viatopo maps etc and getting as much knowledge as I could before hand so I could get my butt in the seat as much as possible. And, being as Ive hunted my own properties for 26 years like I said, I would really enjoy spending some time seeing what else is out there as I get up in years, how cool would that be. My answer was simply in reply to your 2 questions, I wasnt thinking along the lines of hunting out of state means you arent really hunting if the rancher, farmer or locals give you some input on where you may bag a nice buck. So everyone knows that Pike Co Ill has some of the biggest bucks there are, if you kill one there does that mean its not really hunting because there are lots of what I consider big bucks everywhere? Or same goes for sask or Alberta??

I'm not angling for anything....just curious. I will be hopefully hunting whitetails in PA and KS next year (more for the social aspects than pure hunting), but I was wondering.....

Would you rather:

1) Take a big buck each year(or every couple) from a different state

or

2) Consistently take a quality buck from YOUR woods?

Why?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

TEmbry....NO, NO, NO! NOTHING holier than thou at all. Just a simple discussion. If I say I like brunettes.....the blondes don't go into a tizzy. It's a simple discussion. My opinion is only mine and is inconsequential to anyone else in discussing this.

I am going on an oufitted hunt in '09.....and I've been on guided, outfitted hunts, before. Nothing at all against them. Nothing.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not angling for anything....just curious. I will be hopefully hunting whitetails in PA and KS next year (more for the social aspects than pure hunting), but I was wondering.....

Would you rather:

1) Take a big buck each year(or every couple) from a different state

or

2) Consistently take a quality buck from YOUR woods?

Why?
As one guy put it..."Shawn, why would you want to spend the extra money on trips and out of state tags to hunt when you have some of the biggest bucks in theU.S., your own back yard?". He's right, not all of you guys have it like I do here in Ohio. I would rather just hunt here at home (South West Ohio & South East Ohio) where I do have the greatest opportunity to bag a record class buck. I don't hunt for record bucks, but I have plenty of them here in Ohio, so why go elsewhere. Give me 4 to 5 does a year for freezer meat and I'm happy as hell. A monster buck would just be a bonus.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:38 PM

TEmbry....NO, NO, NO! NOTHING holier than thou at all. Just a simple discussion. If I say I like brunettes.....the blondes don't go into a tizzy. It's a simple discussion. My opinion is only mine and is inconsequential to anyone else in discussing this.

I am going on an oufitted hunt in '09.....and I've been on guided, outfitted hunts, before. Nothing at all against them. Nothing.
thats cool, i figured it had different meaning than the way i was reading into it.

I too am heading westward on a outfitted trip, but probably next year. After i learn the ropes, i might convert to a DIY west hunter, who knows.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Further more.. Why does it have to be this or that?

Every Animal carries it's own memories. These stories get retold every year at camp. Did you ever wonder the fastest route down a steep mountain, in snow, with a buck.. Dad can tell you..and they go a heck of alot faster than a taboggan with a lot less steering capabilities. There was the shoot'em through the barn buck! The pork and beans 5 pointer.

And even some we didn't get~ The wounded buck we found the track of (I was tagged out) and I told my buddy where he'd eventually cross if I tracked him.. 2 hours later he did exactly what was expected. I was standing at a vantage point waiting on the shot as the nice 8 pt rounded the bench..what? No shot?? No buddy?? he got cold and went back to Camp! On and on ...I could go.

Perhaps there is no BEST moment in hunting or some would reach that level and quit. There may be best moments thus far..that doesn't diminsh the accomplishments of the others.

I'd love to shoot a Black Bear..that means for the MOST part sitting over a baited garbage can. Could I enjoy that..HECK YA

How about sitting on a Caribou Migration route...Heck YA
Guided Whitetail hunt (semi-guided..whatever) Heck YA
Working my butt off for an Elk...Heck YA

And when I relived these stories EACH would have moments unique to the hunt. I wouldn't point at the Giraffe and say that wasn't any fun because it was on an enclosure of 2 thousand Square Miles and a tracker found him for me.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

It never was an either/or, GR8. I asked "would you rather". I didn't say I wouldn't do either. I have done both.....had fun....and built memories around them.

But...I'd RATHER do things, myself....and get that sense of accomplsihment (given the two scenarios I depicted).
Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Home ground, I have a lot more invested there.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

AS far as whitetails go I would definitely hunt them at "home". Maybe just because that is what I have always done, or maybe because I have the opportunity there to really learn an area and the habits of the animals there.

I LOVE hunting various species of animals however, and so I have to travel for that.

If I were to travel for whitetails, then my main objective would befriendships rather than bringing home a trophy rack.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Dominant Buck

If I were to travel for whitetails, then my main objective would befriendships rather than bringing home a trophy rack.
EXCELLENT point!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.