Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you rather????

Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Would you rather????

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

LOL diesel.....I still wanna go!

I'm trying to learn something here. If you go out of state to hunt.....do you do all of your own scouting? ALL OF IT?

I'm thinking (and I could be WAYYYYyyy off) that this is the case about 5% of the time.
Well I believe you are way off then sir. I have never been invited to deer hunt someone elses land, I knock on doors.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what your after on this post. I'm not sure how common it is, I would imagine it is human nature to get any help possible if it's available.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Wrong, Dan.... Hunting with an outfitter can be completely fulfilling I would suppose....and your method is especially commendable.

Kudos.

Again I'll ask, though....how prevailant a practice do you think YOUR method of hunting with an outfitter is???
Not very...LOL. I am an exception to the rule. In this case, I got to know him and he invited me to do whatever I want......because he knows I won't hurt his business by shooting small bucks.

Just because its with an outfitter means nothing. I would do the same thing another place on private or public ground.....scout before I get there. In this day and age, its not as hard as some think.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I think hunting with a DIY outfitter is more common than you think. I would say more people generally go the other way but many others don't.

Unfortunately you never really hear of it because the t.v. personalities don't do the DIY version. They do the sit here and wait for a deer at 3:09 p.m. from the right version. And there's nothing wrong with that (bunch of girls)...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I looked at maps,talked with friends and did some leg work in preparation for this seasons out of state hunting.
By next season, I will have looked at dozens more maps,talked more with friends, and put in a lot more leg work. So I think it is rather common for things to happen that way.

Here’s another twist for you GMMAT. You venture to a friends locale in pursuit of game. Yes at first you are taken to several different places, shown around and learn the areas accordingly. After a few days, YOU are given the choice of which areas you would like to return to. So you make that choice based on the 1st hand info obtained in the past couple days. You pick the locations, get all set up and kill a target animal. Can you feel dang proud to do so?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

When i go out of state hunting, which hasn't happened in a while (Money Issues) I don't hunt private land, outfitted land, or none of the sort. I hunt public land out of state.I go out there and bust my nut scouting and looking around and if i get lucky enough the short time i'm out there, thats a plus! If not its still nice to get away and enjoy mother nature! The next year you go back you can always try something different if it didn't work the first time for ya. I don't care if people are guided or how they do it, thats up to the individual or group!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

I'm gonna pick shoot"big" bucks every few years in my own woods in MN even though it is not one of the choices.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

GREAT QUESTION, Rybo! Yeah.....give me access to the woods to make my own decisions after a few days.....and I'd feel a lot better about an animal I took, there.

Don't get me wrong, here.....I'm not saying I wouldn't love to take an animal hutning somewhere else where someone set me up......but I'm saying I would have WAY more sense of accomplishment if I did it myself (IN ANY WOODS).

You may be right, Duke. The DIY'ers may be more prevailant than I think. But.....I still think it's a SMALL minority to the guided outfitters. I'm not saying anything new, here. people were discussing this on the forum the other day. Would you feel as much of a sense of accomplishment if you were "aided" by others?

It's an opinion question. Thats all.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cooter144

I'm gonna pick shoot"big" bucks every few years in my own woods in MN even though it is not one of the choices.

*2, that was my pick too!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

I think the question changed!! If your talking guided or unguided, I take unguided every time!!

I've felt a different sense of accomplishment forevery animal I've harvested, no two are the same!Some you work hard for, some you don't! I'm still damn proud and thankful for each and every one!

Buck of a lifetime?
I'd rather hunt my own land forever and not get one, than have someone say sit here, it will be by at 5.

edit
Not that I would never go on a guided hunt, I just don't think I would ever consided a buck taken on a guided hunt,a buck of a lifetime!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:07 PM

Do you have an agenda against outfitted hunts?

I see no problem with them, whatsoever. In alot of cases, especially out west, an outfitted hunt has lower success odds than someone hunting their own land back east for whitetails. Depending on the style hunt you are going on, your outfitter really has little to do with how your hunt turns out. You basically pay him for food, a comfortable place to stay, and a great but HUGE piece of land to hunt. If you are doing a spot and stalk type hunt, it is 100% up to you, the hunter, to make the stalk and get within range once the animal is found.

here at home i do all my scouting by myself, and put myself in areas i KNOW have some nice bucks in them. I work my but off with mineral licks, cutting lanes, hangin treestand sets, and actually finding the deer. This to me, isn't the hunt. it is just a small part of it. the majority of the hunt is the time spent on stand trying to get that shot off.

i see the points you are making, but it almost comes off as one of the holier than thou type speeches. Probably not the case, but reading this thread it seems as if you think that taking an animal really isnt that great of an accomplishment if someone doesn't do all the scouting and before the actual hunt work themselves. Possibly to toot your own horn about the way you go about hunting, possibly to make a point against outfitted hunts. IDK, just the way it appears to me by the above posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.