Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you rather????

Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you rather????

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So.....for the sake of the original question....YES....other people are setting you up if you're hunting "other states".
This right here Jeff was whatI was reffering to.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

LOL diesel.....I still wanna go!

I'm trying to learn something here. If you go out of state to hunt.....do you do all of your own scouting? ALL OF IT?

I'm thinking (and I could be WAYYYYyyy off) that this is the case about 5% of the time.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

No agenda huh GMMAT (I knew better[:-])

Well if Greg/Mo is going to invite me hunting, we have become friends. We have talked about hunting. I've probably been given some amount of information on the woods/terrain/travel routes etc. I've probably been given GPS coordinates and viewed the area on a map. I've asked questionsabout, "why" and "what about this".I would imagine I've probably been given some choices and of course I will take his advice on my best chance. If I'm unsuccesful on that initial morning WE will discuss the sightings/movements or lack of, and together, either scout or formulate another plan or discusswhy we should stick to the original plan.

If everything did come together that opening morning and I successfully put down a nice buck. It would be an accomplishment. It surely wouldn't be less of one. I hunted with a friend we were successful. and I made the shot... Someone once said you could build a city between seeing a deer and putting one on the ground. He picked the local..but I built the city!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I know from my own point of view.

I hunt new land on a continual basis. I am armed with only an aerial and a topo. I've had some farmers tell me where to go in the past but have never listened. Most farmers I have found don't really know what a big buck (that I am looking for) is. I do all of my own scouting too.

I'd rather sit on the ground then in anothers treestand. But that's me. As my wife would say.. that's the stubborn side of me.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I said that, GR8....and I stand by it (In response to hearing people talk about all the deer they were "passing" on)

But I think we're getting ruffled over an easy set of scenarios.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Duke...

RESPECT!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

How do you even know there are deer there, Dan (using your scenario)?
I hear it from a friend's uncle's brother'swife's cousin'shigh school friend's hair dresser......Seriously.

OK, next week I am going to Saskatchewan. I am hunting an Indian Reservation through an outfitter completely DIY. I know there are deer on the reserve, I was there last year and have been told. They don't tell me where the deer are, I figure it out myself.

Finding these areas is all a part of scouting. Look in the record books, look at the terrain, whatever you have to do to find out if there are deer in an area....and quality ones, if that's what you choose.

But I suppose, now that I'm hunting an outfitter's land, even though its completely DIY, my scenario doesn't pertain to your question anymore.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT I'm ruffleproof...Just tell us your opinion and we'll do our best to share it. [&:]
Old 11-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I do all of those mentioned, plot maps and arial photos. Then I hunt, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out where big deer will be moving. Funnels, bedding areas, edges.....being there when they are is the key. If I don't harvest a mature buck off a new spot I'm not worried there is always next year.
More respect.....but how common do you all think this is????
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Wrong, Dan.... Hunting with an outfitter can be completely fulfilling I would suppose....and your method is especially commendable.

Kudos.

Again I'll ask, though....how prevailant a practice do you think YOUR method of hunting with an outfitter is???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.