Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you rather????

Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Would you rather????

Here's a scenario, GR8.....and we'll see how "competent" you are.

Greg/MOinvites you to go hunting with him in "his" woods. You've never stepped foot into them....and you're going for the hunt in the morning. Where are you gonna set up?

That's right......RIGHT where he tells you to (general area). Now....if you take a deer, there.....who "won"? Is your level of accomplishment satisfied? Or....did you just "shoot" the deer?

If I don't have time to familiarize myself over a period of time, on a tract of land.....I'm relying on someone else to take care of the "hunting" for me. It's got nothing to do with the "security blanket" of one's honey hole. The game, TO ME, is the hunt.....and not the "shoot". It took me over a year to find the deer on the small tracts I hunt. I went to Rob's woods and sat in the general area he told me to. Where's the sense of accomplishment if I took a nice animal? Nothing against it.....it is what it is.....and I enjoyed it. BUT.....give me a 100" 8 pointer in my woods......vs. a 125" 8 pointer in Rob's......and I think you know which one I'd savor, more. The one "I" HUNTED and "I" found......and "I" set up on.

If you're hunting different parcels and you're doing your own sets.....then your hunting "your woods".
Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Here's a scenario, GR8.....and we'll see how "competent" you are.

Greg/MOinvites you to go hunting with him in "his" woods. You've never stepped foot into them....and you're going for the hunt in the morning. Where are you gonna set up?

That's right......RIGHT where he tells you to (general area). Now....if you take a deer, there.....who "won"? Is your level of accomplishment satisfied? Or....did you just "shoot" the deer?

If I don't have time to familiarize myself over a period of time, on a tract of land.....I'm relying on someone else to take care of the "hunting" for me. It's got nothing to do with the "security blanket" of one's honey hole. The game, TO ME, is the hunt.....and not the "shoot". It took me over a year to find the deer on the small tracts I hunt. I went to Rob's woods and sat in the general area he told me to. Where's the sense of accomplishment if I took a nice animal? Nothing against it.....it is what it is.....and I enjoyed it. BUT.....give me a 100" 8 pointer in my woods......vs. a 125" 8 pointer in Rob's......and I think you know which one I'd savor, more. The one "I" HUNTED and "I" found......and "I" set up on.

If you're hunting different parcels and you're doing your own sets.....then your hunting "your woods".
Now your putting different spins on your original post. You asked about different places, not mentioning other people are setting you up.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

It stands to reason if you have land in other states that you've probably scouted or at least been on this land before. No spin....if you live in MI and have land in OH....I'd consider BOTH "your woods".

So.....for the sake of the original question....YES....other people are setting you up if you're hunting "other states".

Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have all kinds of terrain and different species to hunt here in my state alone. I would have to stay here (plus I am about as broke as you can be)
Old 11-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

It stands to reason if you have land in other states that you've probably scouted or at least been on this land before. No spin....if you live in MI and have land in OH....I'd consider BOTH "your woods".

So.....for the sake of the original question....YES....other people are setting you up if you're hunting "other states".
Maybe in your case but not in everyone's case!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Schultzy....I have no idea what you're talking about.

When most of you guys hunt out of state.....do you go early and scout the land? Do you buy aerial maps and plot out a strategy prior to arrival? Do you read the topos and derive a gameplan?

Or....do you sit where the outfitter, friend, landowner tells you is a "good spot"?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM

I guess the question has changed/been added to a little bit.....so my answer will have to as well.

I hunt a lot of other areas, almost totally DIY. I look at topo maps and satelite images before I go and try to locate the key bedding and feeding areas. Though I have never been there, I have already done a lot of the scouting myself.

Once I get to the new area, I most likely won't be hunting the first day. I'll spend it setting stands or quietly observing from a distance, to see if my pre trip scouting was correct. I would never consider this to be "My Woods" if I have ever been there before, but you may because someone is not telling me where to hunt.

As far as someone telling me where to hunt, I don't get a lot of joy out of it......which now seems to be what you are asking.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah now you are changing the original post somewhat. I disagree 110% GMMAT. The hunt is waiting for and making the ethical shot, guessing the correct yardage, not making a noise and scaring the deer, waiting for the right shot angle, making the right tracking decisions after the shot, taking the time to hunt, not smelling up the woods, THAT is the hunt. Greg may have an idea if there are good bucks somewhere, or a particular buck,but no one in the world can predict a deers every step on any particular day especially when the rut starts kicking in. If he tells you to get in a stand and you smell,we missa shot as we all know happens,we makea noise, you move at the wrong moment etc, you misjudge the yardage, whatever, then it doesnt matter where Greg tells you to hunt even if he knows the exact steps that buck will take every day which unless they are fed deer seems unrealistic. You keep hunting in your woods, I'll go hunt all over North America, I was going to take you with me but forget it now!! [:-]
Old 11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

How do you even know there are deer there, Dan (using your scenario)?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:58 AM

I do all of those mentioned, plot maps and arial photos. Then I hunt, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out where big deer will be moving. Funnels, bedding areas, edges.....being there when they are is the key. If I don't harvest a mature buck off a new spot I'm not worried there is always next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.