Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The line between passion/dedication and insanity?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default The line between passion/dedication and insanity?

Sometimes I wonder if I’ve crossed the line. Hopefully you guys can share some stories and help me feel a little more sane.

I’ll use yesterday as my example.Wake up off of just a few hours sleep, to drive 3 hours round trip, only to hunt for 4-4.5 hours. Sometimes I take a step back and think I am nuts. But I guess the bottom line is that it only really cost me 4 hours sleep, and about $35-40 in gas. So no big deal. This is all on top of the 100+ hours spent in a tree so far this year.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The line between passion/dedication and insanity?

It is only a problem ifyou get there and think "I would rather be doing (insert activity here) instead of this".
Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rybo,

If you are a serious bowhunter, yeah it borders on insanity. A fellow hunting friend of mine made the comment that guys like me (and you and the rest that have this passion on this board) are a little different. We have a passion and until you catch that bug, it doesn't make sense. I eat sleep and drink whitetails. I won't let it affect my family or personal decisions as they will always come first but there are times I teeter on the fine line.

The good news is my little guy is 4 1/2 and loves being there with Dad. Him and I spent 2 hours scouting for next year this pastFriday. I think Santa is going to be bringing a bow for Christmas.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

"The good news is my little guy is 4 1/2 and loves being there with Dad. Him and I spent 2 hours scouting for next year this pastFriday. I think Santa is going to be bringing a bow for Christmas."

That is awesome pops! My son is 3.5 and I had him out in the woods with his backpack on looking for deer sign. He was so mesmorized by the woods.

Back to the insanity part....I don't think you can say you are insane about anything unless you neglect certain very important parts of your life. Last week I remember that I woke up at 3:30 am almost every day to get out in the woods...I am on vacation and I feel more tired than while I am at work! I was so tired that Saturday....I hunted all day! Today I took off from the woods to be with my kids.

IF YOU HUNT NAKED, then you are insane...or if you wander around the woods in a straw hat asking where your "baboo" tree is then you are insane. If you wear a doe tail on your butt with doe estrus scent on it, and with your butt up in the air while you are in the woods, then you are insane!